What's new

New article about Fox catalog titles (1 Viewer)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
If memory serves (please forgive me if it doesn't) I recall a post from Mr. Epstein which implied that HTF was really close to securing a chat with Fox but the backlash over the Patton Blu-Ray disc caused them to back out.

I hope that Mr. Ashton and his colleagues reconsider and agree to a chat. I've always felt these chats were excellent free publicity & market research for the studios and also a source for generating a large amount of goodwill.

Of course there's no substitute for a respectful hand signed letter sent to the studio and I've written Steve Feldstein and Schawn Belston in the past thanking them for their efforts. I'll send one to Mr. Ashton to thank him as well.

ted:r

Second Unit
My top Fox...sorted by year...not including Cavalcade and Man Hunt

Zoo in Budapest 1933Lloyd's of London 1936Wilson 1944Tree Grows in Brooklyn, A1945Bell for Adano, A1945Cluny Brown 1946Brasher Doubloon, The1947Sitting Pretty 1948Cry of the City 1948It Happens Every Spring 1949Everybody Does It 1949Three Came Home 1950Man Who Cheated Himself, The1950No Highway In The Sky195113th Letter, The19515 Fingers 1952Viva Zapata! 1952Deadline - U.S.A. 1952Left Hand of God, The1955Hatful of Rain, A1957Plunder Road 1957Wild River 1960Sons and Lovers 1960Kremlin Letter, The1970Made for Each Other 1971Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds, The1972

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I could be wrong but I think you're thinking of Paramount and The Fugitive: Season Two- Volume One music replacement situation (when someone gave out the e-mail address of a Paramount employee and people sent profanity laden e-mails because they're tough... when they're at their computer
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
).

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Hi Travis, you could be right, the names were never really filled it. My post was based on posts earlier this year that established that a chat with Fox was under discussion. Soon after that the Patton mushroom cloud happened and all talk of a Fox chat stopped. Mr. Epstein's post (somewhere within the HD forum) followed afterwards.

You're right, the acts of some thoughtless people towards CBS/P was beyond rude and would have destroyed any possibility of a chat with them as well. If there was ever a talk of a CBS/P chat I missed it. It would be surprising though since they never did give a straight answer about the whole Fugitive mess.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
I am very happy with Fox efforts and it's so fine there are yet so many classics in their vaults waiting for a release...best of all they are still into classics.
So some of my most wanted:

From the 30's

State Fair
The Farmer Takes a Wife
Clive of India
Ladies in Love
Under two Flags
Ramona
Lloyds of London
Sing Baby Sing
Banjo in my knees
A Message to Garcia
Sally, Irene and Mary
Wake Up and Live
Love Under Fire
You can`t Have Everything
This is My Affair
Thin Ice
Suez
Seventh Heaven
Three Blind Mice
Wife, Doctor and Nurse
Swanee River
The Story of Alexander Graham Bell
Wife, Husband and Friend
Stanley and Livingstone

From the 40's

Star Dust
Tin Pan Alley
Four Sons
The Great Profile
Remember the Day
Song of the Island
My Gal Sal
Chad Hanna
Tales of Manhattan
Springtime in the Rockies
Iceland
Footlight Serenade
Belle Star
China Girl
The Magnificent Dope
Rings on her Fingers
The Pied Piper
Coney Island
Sweet Rosie O'Grady
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
Irish Eyes are Smiling
A Bell for Adano
Claudia and David
Diamond Horseshoe
Three Little Girls in Blue
Margie
Centennial Summer
A Royal Scandal
Clunny Brown
Sweet and Low Down
That Lady in Ermine
Give My Regards to Broadway
Sentimental Journey
I wonder whos kissing her now
Sitting Pretty
Cry of the City
The Fan
You Were Meant for Me
The Foxes of Harrow
Come to the Stable
The Iron Curtain
Slattery`s Hurricane
Mother Wore Tights
When My Baby Smiles at Me
Forever Amber
Oh you Beautufil Girl
Father was a Fullback
Everybody Does it
You're my Everything

From the 50's

American Guerrilla in the Philippines
I'll Get By
The 13th Letter
No Highway in the Sky
The Jackpot
5 Fingers
Meet Me After the Show
Two Flags West
Anne of the Indies
The Model and the Marriage Broker
Take Care of my Little Girl
Viva Zapata!
My Cousin Rachel
The President's Lady
The I don't Care Girl
Inferno
The Egyptian
A Woman's World
Untamed
The Best Things in Life are Free

Richard M S

Screenwriter
What a great article, however it confirms what I already knew about Fox's products.
I am working my way through the GREAT Tyrone Power box and the mini-documentaries are wonderful, with interesting guests and smart commentary. The level of care given to more obscure films like LOVE IS NEWS is very high.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
There's a great DVD from Image Entertainment "20th Century Fox: The First 50 Years". Hosted & narrated by the late James Coburn (written & directed by Kevin Burns), chock full of so many great clips. It's been out for a few years & is quite cheap.

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
The latest Q&A from MoviesUnlimited mentions the following:

Sources at Fox have confirmed there will definitely be another Betty Grable collection As for your other, fine suggestions, we can tell you that there’s buzz from the studio about Tobacco Road, with Dana Andrews and Gene Tierney, and directed by John Ford, getting a separate release (it was previously available on the deluxe Ford At Fox set that has been discontinued).

There’s also consideration being given to the Philadelphia-set Centennial Summer with Cornel Wilde, Jeanne Crain and Linda Darnell, a musical uncharacteristically helmed by Otto Preminger; and Woman’s World, a 1954 all-star comedy in which auto mogul Clifton Webb tries to decide who will win a plum spot in his company based on the behavior of their wives (played by Lauren Bacall, June Allyson and Arlene Dahl).

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Absolutely no offense is intended, but the Movies Unlimited column has been known to report inaccurate information repeatedly in the past so one must take everything they say with a grain of salt and wait for confirmation elsewhere.

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot

I totally agree - it should not be taken for granted. Where Fox releases are concerned, their degree of accuracy has been better than for other studios though, so here's hoping!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Yes, agree that Movie Irv may have an actual source at Fox. His Warner, Universal, and Sony info on the other hand.....

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
For those of us who love post-apocalyptic themed movies Fox owns the rights to Damnation Alley, a film Anchor Bay was supposed to release 4 years ago then cancelled. Its no masterpiece but it is highly entertaining. I dont care about extras, just give me the film uncut, in widescreen and include the trailer. Anyone know the status of this release?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Maybe I've no sense of humour but I've never felt that Woman's World was a comedy. I like the movie but it has always seemed a straightforward drama to me.

ColbyCo82

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
Im voting for another Will Rogers set...we need at least one more to get some of his early talkies on DVD.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Fox updated their Classic Movie DVD site and this is what is now listed as in development.

In development:
- The Robe (CinemaScope and Flat version) 1953 / Dir: Henry Koster

- The French Connection 1971 / Dir: William Friedkin

- The French Connection II 1975 / Dir: John Frankenheimer

- Man-Hunt 1941 / Fritz Lang

- Diary of Anne Frank 1959 / Dir: George Stevens

- Vanishing Point 1971 / Dir: Richard C. Sarafian

- Stars and Stripes Forever 1952 / Dir: Henry Koster

- A Tree Grows in Brooklyn 1945 / Elia Kazan

I guess this means that there will not be a Box Of Ritz Crackers. But good news on A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and The Robe.

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kelly

Its about time for A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. It has been long overdue!

Didn't they already release Diary of Anne Frank on DVD?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen

They did a few years back and it could have been better. They left out the intermission used for select theaters which was on the Laserdisc. Also I guess they feel they need to revisit The French Connection pair again. They also might be releasing these again along with a release on Blu-Ray.

Still hungry for my Box of Ritz Crackers.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

Wasn't the Intermission taken out of Diary of Anne Frank because George Steven's son thought it was better that way? Really annoyed me at the time. I hope the new version reinstates it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks