New "Around the World In Eighty Days" Movie this Christmas

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Patrick McCart, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Story from http://actionadventure.about.com/lib.../aa102002a.htm

Is anyone else disgusted by this story? Sure, the 1956 film wasn't perfect, but at least stuck to the original story pretty well.

Come on...Phileas Fogg as an invetor? Jackie Chan's stunts being the center of attention?

Let me know your opinions.

2. Karl F

Karl F Stunt Coordinator

I read today on the IMDB that Steve Coogan from 24 Hour Party People is set to play Fogg, which is really excellent casting, in a young-Eric-Idle sort of way. And I still like Chan. I have no faith in the director, however, looking at his past credits.

I'll be guardedly optimistic, for now.

--K

3. SteveP

SteveP Second Unit

What is needed is a true theatrical restoration of the 1956 original in its 30 frames per second Todd-AO format to raise it above the mediocre travelogue status it has on video.

4. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Resurrecting this thread with some distributor news:

Source: Yahoo!

5. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

6. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

7. Oleg

Oleg Auditioning

To me the sad thing is that they called the movie "Around the World in 80 Days". It may very well be a fine, entertaining, exciting and unforgettable comedy, but it is _not_ "Around the World in 80 Days."

[rant]The book's characters exist in their own right, the products of their author's imagination fleshed out by countless readers who appreciated the work. Fogg will always be a straightlaced English gentleman of the turn of the last century, with all of the breed's strengths and some of its weaknesses. Passepartout will always be a slightly scatterbrained, but loyal and usually resourceful servant. Aouda will always be a lady in distress that's caused by barbaric practices. Fixx will be the dogged detective.

Trying to make those characters into something else simply doesn't work. You're creating new characters with the same name, but in no way related to the originals. It is sort of like writing "The Further Adventures of Jesus Christ" rather than filming the "Ten Commandments" with Charlton Heston as Moses. In the latter case you have some artistic liberties taken with the character from the book. In the former, sure, your character has the same name, but it ain't the guy in the Bible. Yet, both works may have merit in their own right, and one case that merit will be overshadowed by its failure to stick to the original while exploiting its name.

What exactly does somebody borrowing the names gain? Name recognition. But surely quite a few of those who know the title, "Around the World..." will know enough to compare the new film to either the book, or to the Todd film. And just as surely quite a few of those are going to be at least somewhat put off by the differences, perhaps to the point of deciding not to see the film. So, for me, the risk of dramatically changing the characters isn't worth the scant benefit gained by using the name of a 19th century classic...[/rant]

8. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart
    It's puzzling to why they had to change so much about the film. Fogg is SUPPOSED to be bland and ambigious. The casting of Jackie Chan as Passparteau is a great idea, but the addition of the "Golden Buddah" is idiotic.

Even worse, it looks like this film was shot in Super-35. I have nothing against the process, but it's a long way from the excellent 65mm photography in the 1956 version.

BTW, it would have been a little bit credible if they somehow got Sir John Mills to do a cameo for the film. He was in the 1956 and 1989 versions, so he could have been the only person to have a cameo in all 3 films.

9. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor