What's new

New Area (1 Viewer)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
At the request of several members we have decided to break up the Hardware Area of the forum into different parts to make it easier to navigate through posts concerning your particular hardware interests.

Parker

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
This really is nice. It should make it much easier to keep up with all of the post this section gets.

Chris S.

Henry W

Stunt Coordinator
I don't like this at all. I much prefer to scan the headers of posts by date for a number of interest areas and select posts I wish to read rather than select areas of interests. I may be interested in some DVD posts, some seperates posts, some A/V posts, and some speaker posts but I certainly want to look at all the posts concerning hardware. I have speakers, a DVD player, seperates, and I'm still interested in A/V Receivers. Dividing up hardware into specialized areas is the wrong thing to do and I'm totally opposed to this. How many people do you know have an interest in just speakers, or just DVD players, or just seperates? I've left numerous sites for this same reason-too many subdivisions. It is a pain in the neck to go into speakers, then switch over to seperates and go through that, then switch to DVD players and go through that, and so far. The best solution would be for individuals to be able to search all hardware by date, or for speaker threads, or for seperates threads, and so forth. You are making a big mistake here. I totally object.

Best regards-Henry

Sebastien David

Second Unit
I, for the same reasons as Henry, do not think this is the best idea. I might also add that some threads will be hybrid. I understand that they should then be posted in the neutral area, however I firmly believe that in a topic such as HT, where every piece of gear is integrated to a greater whole, A LOT of the threads will be hybrid. No point then in having barely frequented sub-sections... Case in point, a thread entitled "is it my speakers or my receiver" in this section. It has been a couple of hours only, and already the problem rears its ugly head...

I will try to be a little more constructive than Henry (no offense intended), however, and suggest something else.

Would it be possible, instead of breaking everything in smaller parts, making it harder to browse through the whole hardware section, to put an icon besides each post? The creator of the thread would choose to put a speaker, receiver, separates, etc. icon or tag on his thread, making it easier for everyone to identify the nature of that thread.

A function at the top to sort posts by date or type could be made available also, so that if you only want to look at speaker threads, you wouldn't have to browse through all the others as well.

I don't know whether this is possible, but I know it would definitely be a better solution IMHO.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Gentlemen:

I believe that we need more than just a few hours to try this out. As with an change you may find that this is something that you come to like.

Parker

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure I like this idea myself, but as Parker suggests, it may grow on me in time. However I was wondering if it might be possible to have everything the subcategories automatically cross posted in the main category. That way people who prefer to see everything at once can, and those looking for info on receivers could just look there, etc..

Steve Zimmerman

Second Unit
I agree that there are sometimes hybrid questions, but the reason I like the idea of separate subforums is that there are so many posts that it sometimes only takes about an hour of inactivity for a particular post to be relegated to the 2nd or 3rd page from whence the only return is to "bump".

--Steve

Magpile

Auditioning
Why is subwoofer not a seperate section?

I don't want to browse through useless stuff about dipole/tripole/mypole when all I want to do is read how good the SVS subwoofers are.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks