New Area

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Parker Clack, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    At the request of several members we have decided to break up the Hardware Area of the forum into different parts to make it easier to navigate through posts concerning your particular hardware interests.

Parker

2. Steve Zimmerman

Steve Zimmerman Second Unit

Great idea!!

You might consider naming this section "Amps, Separates, and Receivers".

--Steve

3. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    Actually there is a completely different section for seperates. See here

4. Joe Coccimiglio

Excellent idea, I didn't think this site could get any better but I was wrong...keep up the good work.[​IMG]

5. Parker Clack

Parker
    Steve:

Chris beat me to it. I hadn't added the separates area yet when you posted your message.

Parker

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    It sucks.

I could scroll all these topics on one Forum before. Now I have to wade through six. It's just extra work.

And what about topics that don't easily fall into one of these?

Unhappily,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

7. Parker Clack

Parker
    Wayne:

Read my other post to you in the DVD area. You only need to say it once.

Parker

8. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

I posted this in the FF area but put it here as well in case this topic is more 'visible':

While I think that spliting the HW area up is a decent idea I still think that receivers and separates should be one category. Where do the threads about using a receiver as a pre/pro end up? It deals with both receivers and amps. Combining these two areas makes sense to me. Otherwise you run the risk of having topics similar to what I mentioned above posted in both areas as well as the general area.

The rest of the new areas seem reasonable. It'll just take some getting used to.

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Although I agree that I have to go through more forums, I still think it's a good idea. [​IMG]
    *edit
    So will old posts be migrated and the Hardware forum go away or will Hardware remain as a generic forum?

10. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    If you want to see a Forum that is so finely hashed with sub-forums to the point of ridiculousness, take a look at the Home Theater Spot. Is that where we're headed?

11. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    here's what i think would be cool: make it so that every post in these sub-categories also is shown in the bulk 'Hardware' section.
    i do like the readability of the old way, in case we're taking a poll. [​IMG]

12. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

I appreciate the effort that went into this change, but unfortunately, I am forced to agree with Wayne on this one...for pretty much the same reasons. I have a variety of hardware interests, and it was easy when everything was on a single forum...the fittest theads survived while the boring stuff just faded away. There's no way that I'm gonna have the patience to go back and forth thru all these parsed forums on a frequent basis.

13. Parker Clack

Parker
    We have totally outgrown having all the threads in one area. This works fine on a smaller board but with our traffic threads were getting buried in no time. Believe me I frequent this site enough to know that you can post something in the morning and by later that same morning it is nowhere to be seen.

As far as the issue of posts showing up in both areas yes that is going to happen. But if you are only interested in receivers and have no desire to read anything about speakers why should you have to wade through all those other posts just to find the one that you wanted to about receivers?

I would appreciate it if you wouldn't trash this direction that are trying out and see if it works out in the long run for the betterment of HTF altogether. We have had this forum set up in a single area format for years now and this is something else to try to grow with.

Let's see if it works out for the better or not.

Parker

14. David X

David X Stunt Coordinator

Will a search in 'home theater hardware', restricted to 'home theater hardware' include posts in the sub forums?

-David

15. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

I think that there are a number of valid points on both sides of the argument.
    Personally, I believe that the HW section could use a subdivision or two but not to the level that's seen at hometheaterspot. I know that no one is suggesting that's where HTF is headed. I just feel the need to keep bringing up the fact that 'less is more'. I sincerely hope that the subdivisions are kept to a minimum.
    This sentiment posted for the 1000th time.[​IMG]

16. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

Assuming user feedback will be instrumental in determining whether this new format will survive or not, I'd like to voice my opinion.... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Respectfully,
    Vin

17. Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski Second Unit

Since there is ALOT of talk about using receivers as prepros nowadays, I also think that Receivers & Separates (Prepros & Amps) should all be one (Sub)Forum.

Depsite, the recent volume and # of posts in the "old" Hardware Forum, I also liked the convenience of just scrolling thru one list. If I was looking for something specific, I would almost always find some other topic that would also interest me.

Rich B.

18. John Morris

John Morris Guest

I already voiced my opinion and concerns somewhere else here on HTF(I forget which sub forum it is in), but to add to that post, this setup will also demand that some posts be posted multiple times in different sub-forums for maximum responses... such as what is the best upgrade for my system; which should be posted in every sub forum for maximum impact.

19. Anthony Moore

Anthony Moore Supporting Actor

Dont get me wrong, i LOVE this forum..I spend about an hour a day on it. But i gotta give the new format a [​IMG]

20. ScottAndrew

ScottAndrew Stunt Coordinator

I like the new format. I agree that it's easier to find posts on a particular topic, and if the price is having to switch forums a few times, that's no big deal.

What would be nice is having all the subtopics available as links so we don't have to back up one level to the main forum or go through the drop-down box at the bottom.