What's new

New Apollo 13 DVD (1 Viewer)

Chris Huber

Second Unit

Is that all thats fills the 24 minutes?

I mean really, how much are you missing with the IMAX version in 1.66:1 over the DD version in 1.85:1?
If you wanna hear the DTS track, I'd say the 1.66:1 version would be fine.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

Each viewer is going to prioritize DVD content differently.

I could suggest that they could have killed the French audio track (for the U.S. market release) and include the DTS track. Someone else might suggest the IMAX thing could have gone and so on.

I have the full-bit rate DTS version and now the new version. To my mind, the audio was never a show-off audio DVD (even during the launch sequence) but one that combined good sound effects with an effective score.

Bottom line is that if Universal felt that a DTS track could would not fit on a two disc set, they could have made it a three disc set for less than a buck incremental cost and increase headroom/space for improved picture and audio. That would have satisfied everyone interested in seeing this again in the DVD format.

They didn't and that's why they are Universal.

Btw, on the IMAX disc you still can't switch from one audio track to the other. Universal, in their wisdom, obviously continues to 'reason' that someone that can find the audio button on their remote doesn't want to actually use it or can't be trusted to know what it does.

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam

Apollo 13's original theatrical aspect ratio, and the aspect ratio of the DD version, are 2.35:1, not 1.85:1.

Adam

MathiasKlemme

Auditioning
So I watched the new Disc last night and I was blown away by the quality of it. The (regular) theatrical version looks fantastic, with great sharpness, contrast and man... look at those colors! Beautiful.

Then I put in the IMAX version just to check it out, and WOW... this must be the best looking DVD I have seen. Absolutely fantastic and WAY better then the theatrical version. My gilrfriend who watched with me was the first one to say that the image quality was much, much better. Too bad about the compromised ratio and cuts. It's a great disc to show off your system, though (watched this on a Hitachi PJ-TX10 projector and Pioneer DV-470 player).

It's amazing how good a DVD can be when done right. If all DVDs looked this good, I wouldn't feel the need to upgrade to HiDef.

-Mathias

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

So Pixar or LucasFilm is inferior because they also opt for DD only releases? Last time I checked the lack of DTS didn't disqualify you from having a reference DVD.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

If you follow your own logic then you should be a proponent of a three disc set as well - as three disc would have made more disc space available for an improved video bitrate rather than sharing room with some documentary on the first disc.

But your post is nothing more than a blatant DD versus DTS argument redux rubbed in with "DTS People" lingo ... and how these peoples' knowledge fall short of you own.

Sorry, not interested. For me that was sooo 3-4 years ago. But there are many old threads on that subject that you can post to.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

I respect your opinion, however, I am the only one who is actually disappointed with the video quality? I think it looks very slightly better than the original (not enough to warrant a re-purchase), but the image still has too many compression artifacts,looks soft, and has a "video-like" appearance to it.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

No. You slammed Universal for making the same decisions that most other video companies have made at one time or another. Undeniable picture quality vs. debatable sound quality differences. "DTS" people are merely those who threadcrap on every remaster disc with "well if it had DTS I would have bought it, but since it doesn't, even though the DD track sounds great, the picture looks awesome and there's tons of extras it still sucks." AND they ignore the fact that it isn't just a matter of available disc space!

For DTS Universal would have had to drop the commentary, Spanish and French tracks. Period. Which is precisely what they did for the IMAX version. They kept the french track for the Canadian market, the commentaries (for obvious reasons) which leaves the Spanish track the only "expendable" one.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
quote:as three disc would have made more disc space available for an improved video bitrate rather than sharing room with some documentary on the first disc.

AGAIN, it WOULD. I never mentioned DTS in my remarks based on YOUR stated preference. You mentioned that you wanted the best video quality as your preference. I mentioned that if that were the case you wouldn't want featurettes in with the feature on the same disc as it takes room away from an improved video quality. I never mentioned any audio option on YOUR hypothetical first disc.

Continuing to bring up DTS is your agenda, not mine. But then again, your name appears to give your agenda away. ;)

I slam Universal for 'universally' being regarded as a DVD provider with a mediocre (at best) track record.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I guess this is my question too: is the video quality of the new version enough better than the old DD version to justify a re-purchase? I suppose if I can find it at a good price...

GregK

Screenwriter

My response would be it depends on the quality and/or size of your display device. When I compared the two versions on my 106" 16x9 screen, I immediately noticed the cleaner image of the newer transfer.. just on the Universal opening logo. Another spot where I noticed a big improvement were the white opening credits during the moon landing party. The first transfer presents these credits as soft and a tad overexposed, whereas the new transfer presents them fine. I am sure there are many other examples, but for me it was time to focus more on the new release and once again enjoy the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks