New Apollo 13 DVD

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Edwin_H, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Edwin_H

Edwin_H Stunt Coordinator

Just read over at DVDAnswers about a new Apollo 13 2 disc set coming out in March. I guess this is marking the 10th anniversary of the theatrical release. Sounds like the first disc is the same as the previous release minus the Lost Moon documentary, and the second disc with the IMAX version seems interesting, though cropped to 1.66:1 from 2.35:1 seems like it might be kinda bad. I remember how bad I thought the IMAX cropped and panned and scanned Attack of the Clones looked, so who knows how this will look. What do you guys think of this release??

2. Geoff_D

Geoff_D Supporting Actor

I haven't seen the IMAX version, but I don't believe that it would've been cropped, rather it would've been "opened up" at the top and bottom of the image owing to the Super 35 shooting process that was used. I seem to remember reading that Ron Howard reframed it personally for the IMAX release.

The DVD re-release does sound a tad underwhelming, but a 1.66:1 version (with a dts soundtrack - yay!) may make for a more involving experience when watching at home, especially for those with screens that aren't as big as a billboard, which is kinda ironic considering this is the 'IMAX' version.

I'll be keeping my original R1 'Collector's Edition' anyway as it includes the complete isolated score for the film, as well as the 'Lost Moon' documentary that may not make it to the new release (it didn't even get included in the UK DVD version). But will the dts track on the new edition compare to the dts laserdisc?

3. Paul_Stachniak

Paul_Stachniak Screenwriter

Its about time. Not that I dont enjoy the original release (which I watched the other day), but I wouldnt mind the DTS track. Curious about this IMAX edition - sounds like a nice way to say fullscreen version!

4. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

Although hard to find, there is an Apollo 13 DTS edition available.

5. Michael Qualen

Michael Qualen Stunt Coordinator

Yes there is...I got it a long time ago...GREAT DTS track too

6. Ryan Belfast

Ryan Belfast Stunt Coordinator

Great news. Look forward to this release. Looking forward to DTS.

7. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Hopefully, it will be a new transfer. That's the only way I will purchase it.

The current transfer was reference quality back in the day, but certainly not anymore.

8. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

DVD TIMES is reporting that the (excellent) "Lost Moon" doc. will be on the new 2-Disc Edition. ......

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=55470

Disc One: Original Theatrical Version:

* 2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
    * English, French and Spanish DD5.1 Surround
    * English and Spanish subtitles
    * Lost Moon: The Triumph of Apollo 13
    * Feature Commentary with Director Ron Howard
    * Feature Commentary with Jim and Marilyn Lovell
    * Production Notes
    * Cast and Filmmakers
    * Theatrical Trailer

9. Geoff_D

Geoff_D Supporting Actor

Those specs for 'Disc 1' look exactly the same as the original 'Collector's Edition' R1 release - I sure hope that Universal aren't gonna trot out the same disc as before! That would be laziness that I would not want to reward. As such, if the 2.35:1 theatrical edition has been remastered then I'll bite (they did it recently with The Thing after all), but I'm certainly not buying this again just for the IMAX version.

10. Chip Nestor

Chip Nestor Auditioning

Has anyone had problems reading their old R1 original release of Apollo 13?

All my players (2 sony megachangers, xbox & dvd-recorder) error out when trying to spin up the disc. (there are no apparent scratches / blemishes)

I've had the same trouble with Vertigo - both discs were released around the same time if I recall.

11. EnricoE

EnricoE Supporting Actor

the dts on the old dvd had also a fullrate [​IMG]

12. Jonny_L

Jonny_L Stunt Coordinator

I totally dont see the point to this release at all. Why would anyone want a copy of the movie recomposited for imax with 24 mins missing and without the benefit of imax's huge size anyhow?

I'm gonna be scrating my head over this one for a while.

13. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

It sure does sound like the 1st disc is the same as the current DD version. If all that is added is the cropped "remastered" IMAX, I'll be passing.

14. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Knowing this is Universal, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if disc one is the existing DVD.

15. Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu Supporting Actor

Don't forget the DD version has the isolated score too.

16. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

I agree completely with Toronto's very own Jonny L. (no relation to Jonny Quest I presume [​IMG]), in that this seems like a pretty much pointless release, and just an excuse to line a few more pockets with $$.

Why anybody would wish to watch this great w-i-d-e 2.35:1 film in 1.66:1 is beyond me (DTS track or no). And a truncated version of the flick at that!

Why on Earth would the IMAX version be 1.66? Most odd. [​IMG]

17. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

I'll be sticking with the DVD I already have thank you very much, especially if disc 1 is the same as the current release anyway and it sure does look like it.

18. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

I fear it will be the same 1st disc as we already have. They point out that the disc 2 IMAX was "remastered" and at 1.66. So if the disc 1 in the correct OAR was also remastered, it would make the disc 2 1.66 pretty pointless. I'm thinking that disc 1 will be what we already have and disc 2 will of course be the remastered 1.66 IMAX. No thanks.

19. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

If I remember correctly, there was a discussion on here several years back comparing the original dts barebones version of Apollo 13 to the Dolby Collectors Edition, and everyone unanimously agreed that there was almost no difference. Only a few people claimed to be able to hear a difference and even they admitted it was very subtle.

So even though the original dts track was full bitrate, it didn't appear to offer anything that the Dolby didn't already. I hope this new release doesnt just contain the original dts track again, cause if so, there won't be any reason for me to buy this. I am already happy with the 2.35:1 transfer on the original CE, and as for supplements, I don't think I need any more.

20. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

I have both the CE and DTS versions of this film. I'm content to stick with those two. No need for a new one.[​IMG]