New APEX DVD Recoder

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Bill Will, Jun 8, 2003.

1. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Anybody seen or tried this yet? I see Sears has them for $399.99 so I would guess they can be had cheaper?

2. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

3. Richard Paul

Richard Paul Stunt Coordinator

I believe this function on most DVD players is called zoom [​IMG].

It looks like a nice DVD recorder though I've seen no reviews of it. I'm in the DVD+RW camp though I must admit it would be nice if Blu-Ray arrives soon since of all the blue laser formats it should easily win (personal opinion of course). It's a pain when they introduce a optical disc format with no foresight whatsoever towards recordability. The fact that it was done for both CD's and DVD's is both amusing and frustrating. And yes DVD-RAM was first but even it was made a few years after the introduction of DVD.

4. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

don't forget that "+" medias are much more expensive than "-" medias. If you burn 100 discs in a year, which is not much, you're better off with a Panasonic DMR-E50.

5. Richard Paul

Are you talking about the present prices? I admit that the "+" media when it first came out was more expensive but today the prices are equal. Truth is there is nothing that would make them more or less expensive since in terms of the disc there almost identical. If you look up the prices for Memorex discs both DVD+RW and DVD-RW are equal in price(same for R formats too). Unless someone can explain how either "+" or "-" discs can be made cheaper then I believe the increased price for "+" media was simply the lack of production of them at the time.

David you can recommend the Panasonic player but don't turn this into a argument over the DVD formats. If you want to do that make a seperate thread and I'll join in [​IMG]. This thread is on Bill's question on how the APEX recorder actually peforms though I too sidetracked the subject.

6. David Susilo

1. I'm not turning this into an argument over DVD formats. Get your mind off the gutter. [​IMG]

2. The world does not revolve around America. It's a fact that where I live + format is more expensive than - by at least $1 up to $4 each depending on brands.

3. I have standalone recorders for both formats, and also PC recorders for also both formats, so there.

4. I burn at least 200 DVDs each month. My savings so far from using -R format: (approx) US$ 1500, again, so there.

5. Anything Memorex is inferior product. I don't deal with inferior products.

6. Yes, the manufacturing cost of -R versus +R SHOULD be the same, the fact remains that the manufacturing cost IS higher on the +R. I know somebody who own the manufacturing plant of both -R and +R medias, according to him, although miniscule, +R license is higher than -R.

7. More places in Canada sells -R than +R

8. Current cheapest price for 1x-R is $1.79, whereas 1x+R is $3.29

9. Current cheapest price for 4x-R is $3.09, whereas 4x+R is $4.09

7. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

I would guess by the end of the year it probably can be had for under $300? This should also help to push down the prices on other DVD recorders which would be nice [​IMG] I hope someone buys it or the mags. do a test report on it.

8. David Susilo

1. The Panasonic DMR-E50 can be had now for US$429

2. For certain the street price of the Apex DVD to go as low as around US$329 by Christmas

3. Yamaha DVD recorder ( + format) can be had for around US$549 street soon and may go as low as US$499 around Christmas. AFAIK it will have component input and iLink input.

9. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

He never said the world revolved around America, he simply pointed out your statement about + media being much more expensive than - media was incorrect.

Here in America, there is no difference in price in most major retail stores. That's the fact.

Sam's Club sells a TEN pack of erasable DVD+RWs for $23.99, which is the lowest I've seen..so far.

The prices you are quoting are totally outdated as far as US stores are concerned. Smart shoppers can easily do far far better.

10. Richard Paul

David I believe that you think that the DVD "-" format is cheaper but in America it is not. You certainly love pointing out that I did not include Canadian price's but did you include the prices in Mexico, England, Spain, Eqypt, China, etc...? One can only tell the prices by their area and their knowledge of the internet.

Unfortunately it has become one with your insistence that we discuss the prices of the DVD formats instead of the Apex DVD recorder. One could argue this is a important consideration of what DVD recorder to buy but there are many other places on the internet that argue whether the DVD "+" or "-" is better. Besides the price there are enough differences between the two to argue over till they both become obsolete.

11. David Susilo

Memorex is a good product? My line of work include testing optical media from various manufacturers. For personal purposes I use about 200 DVDs and 200 CDs a month. For testing purposes I use about 1,000 pieces of each media.

Memorex is the lowest quality in QC, longevity, dye thickness and trackibility. It's all in the monthly reports I've submit to a neutral testing group. I don't just blab. I actually tested them. Enough explanation?

ps: how many blank medias have you used in your life? one thousand? ten thousand? I've used (and I have records of the fact) more than 100 thousand medias.

BTW, Prices I checked includes prices of medias in Australia, Indonesia, Hong Kong, China, Malaysia, Japan and Singapore.

Yes you can find +R of brand A at the same price of -R of brand B. But if you compare it apple to apple, the +R is more expensive. Even when the prices are exactly the same, it will be more slightly more difficult to find +R media than the -R.

Licensing paid to the + consortium is higher than the - group. Those are.. uhm.. facts.

12. David Susilo

oh, when comparing prices, you have to check street price and not internet price, they can hide the price difference by tacking on higher handling fee to cover the base cost.

This can be clearly seen on several e-tailers that offers both formats at the same price, but when you're buying them in a bulk of 1,000 pieces, the -R is a tad cheaper than the +R.

13. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Hey guys, How about some info on the APEX not the Format or Discs [​IMG]