What's new

New and need help (1 Viewer)

bigpaulie70

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul
Hi First post new to A/V

I am currently looking to setup a audio system to go with the mit 65 inch hdtv i just bought.Here is what i have narrowed my choices down to if you know of any others that may be better plz let me know.What I plan on hooking up is the dvd player and a HD directv reciver.Thanks for the help budget is 650.00.Also if i do get the sony or pan can I get sound from my Directv thru the speakers or just tv.
sorry will not let me link till 10 post

Sony DAV-HDX576WF

panasonic SC-PT960

ONKYO HT-S5100

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
The usual problem with "home theater in a box" solutions is limited connectivity and/or features which make future add-ons or upgrades difficult. (And trust me, you're going to want to add things and upgrade at some point. You think you're starting a hobby - you aren't. You're starting an addiction.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
)

Based purely on the specs and some general familiarity with the brands, I'd go with the Onkyo. It does DTS which, not all of the listed systems do, and it not only has more inputs and outputs for other components, but a better combination of them. Plus I've been happy with the two Onkyo recievers I've owned.

Regards,

Joe

bigpaulie70

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul
What I like about the Pan and sony is the wireless rear but I just found out that the sony 2 rear speakers need to be wired together so to me thats not totally wireless not sure how the pan handles the rear wireless.As for the onkyo I know it's a great brand i like the idea of the 7.1 just so hard to pick I really like the look of the pansonic speakers but I have had panasonic htib and it was ok.

bigpaulie70

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul
Well I just ordered the Onkyo HT-S6100 hope I made the right choice going to top it off with a sony 5 disc dvd player.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Depending on your room layout, wireless speakers may be more trouble than they are worth. In my living room I am able to conceal the wires within a plastic channel that runs along the base of the sliding glass doors that lead to the enclosed balcony, then along the wall behind the sofa. Only the last couple of feet leading to the speakers themselves are visible, and then only if you really look for them. In some open plan houses concealing wires can be nearly impossible - but then so can creating decent surround sound.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

I suspect you're going to be very happy with the Onkyo's - especially with DTS sound and the ability to playback the higher-res sound formats you'll have access to if (make that when) you add a Blu Ray player. ;)

Don't forget to update the thread and let us know how you made out!

Regards,

Joe

bigpaulie70

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul
Will do I expect the parts to come by middle of next week as for the blue ray it's next on my list. but with the tv and and the audio i am tapped out atm but soon.I got a huge collection of dvd about 900 so can't wait lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linda19798888
Recent bookmarks