New amplifier, calibration, and some questions???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeremy Hegna, Feb 20, 2002.

1. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

Hello everyone.

I installed a new amplifier in my system, the Rotel 1090 to amplify my front channels. It is being controlled by a Denon 5800.

Upon calibrating the speaker levels, I have found that with this amplifier I have to set them quite a bit higher than I did when just the Denon was powering them or when I had the Rotel 1080 in the system.

For example....

With the 5800, proper calibration @ 75db on the mains, my channel level was at -1 or so...

With the 1080, proper calibration @ 75 ddb on the mains, my channel level was at -2....

Now with the high power 1090, I have to jack up my level to +9!!! Does this sound correct to those of you that have switched from receiver to seperates? There is no gain control on the 1090...for those of you unfamiliar with the 1090, there are 4 pairs of binding posts, 2 for each channel. You can either run two pairs of speakers per side or bi-wire 1 pair...of at least 4 ohm speakers. I am bi-wiring my mains, so I have one set of wires going to the highs, another to the lows. Will this have an impact on channel level?

I'm curious because of the high power nature of this amplifier. It is rated at 380x2 @8ohms and over [email protected] ohms. Seems like the channel level would be lower than that of the lower powered amps.

Thanks for your help...

Jeremy

2. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor

Jeremy, this is indeed very strange. I have had about 10 different amps and have never encountered this. Most of the time they are only a db or two off, I can think of no reason why the more powerful amp would have to be CRANKED up that much. Have you tried putting the straps back on your speakers and using only one set of binding post on the amp to see if this changes things ? It shouldnt but you never know..

Also Jeremy, I wonder if this has anything to do with your breaker issues, maybe lack of power from your outlets.

3. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

This is starting to piss me off!!!

I didn't think a step into seperates would be such a pain in the ass. I'm going to switch some things around this weekend and see what I can find out.

To me, something is wrong with this amp...every form of testing on the breakers tell me that they are fine and the Rotel 1080 didn't suffer from any of these issues.

It's not fair that a hobby can stress a person out like this!!!!

Jeremy