What's new

New Amp :) (1 Viewer)

JoeyT

Stunt Coordinator
My EAD Theatermaster 8000 has the ability to play 7.2 and my Classe CAV 150 was short 1 channel. My original intention was to pick up another classe amp to drive the two rear speakers at as low of a cost as possible (since they wont be used as much.
I auditioned:
-Krell KAV 150 in my home for 3 weeks and did not think it was up to par (in my system) with the Classe's more refined sound. (could have had it for about 1500 new.
-Bryston 2*125 watt like the nice fast bass, but was not as rich sounding as the classe. Also, the image was not as deep when I blind a/b them at the shop. (1300.00)
-Aragon Good, but not my flavor. (2100)
-Classe CA 200, very nice and almost mine except for the final contendor.
-Mark Levinson No. 27, Wow! I listened to the last three amp extensively on N802s and the Levinson was the clear winner. Bass was taught, midrange was accurate but not fatiguing, and the high end resembled the Classe's finnesse. One big dif, the Levinson amp cast an image and soundstage like no other. I am still excited about this amp. If anyone is looking for a Tank of an amp that received stereophiles Class "A" rating for a steal used, this is it. A funny note about this amp, even though it is rated minimum 100 watts rms *2, no gain adjustment was needed to compete with the higher power amps. It must be very very conservatively rated at 100 watts. Final note, this amp will probably take over stereo duty for my two mains and the classe may be demoted to pull surround duties for the rest of my speakers. (1800.00 used)
If you are in the market for a stereo amp in any price range, you owe it to yourself to check this amp out if you can find it.
Off to listen to some more music :)

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
Good to hear Joey :emoji_thumbsup:
I'm nowhere near the Classe, Krell, or Mark Levisnon caliber level, but the day that I reach that status I now know to check Mark Levinson first.
For the time being I am very happy with my Parasound HCA-1205A :)

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
I agree,

From what I have heard the Levinson gear is simply the last word in SS electronics, especailly amplifiers. I am suprised that the quality has not changed throughout all the different ownerships. The stuff is incredible. I am eager to hear the Red Rose gear.

-rob

Yogi

Screenwriter
Agree that ML is the clear statement when it comes to SS gear. Like it more than Krell or any others. When I was looking for separate amplification for the front two I auditioned, Classe, Rotel, Bryston, Proceed, B&K and Parasound. Of all the above Proceed was the clear winner in terms of sheer transparency, detail and soundstaging. And if ML's little brother sounds so great I can only imagine how sweet ML would sound.

Alex F.

Second Unit
I, too, have long been an admirer of the performance of Levinson's equipment--smooth, clean, detailed, effortless sound, with wonderful imaging. You might also consider auditioning the exceptional products from McIntosh, Conrad-Johnson, Audio Research, and Pass Labs. These, along with Mark Levinson--and Classe, too--are my personal favorites.

Happy listening!

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
I love the CJ stuff. My favorite all-time amp is the Evolution 2000A. I am hoping that someday when the time is right I will be able to find one of them. 200wpc hybrid that weighs 125 pounds. A little window on the champagne front shows the glowing tubes in the input stage. Fabulous sounding monster amp.

Someday...

-rob

JoeyT

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys.

There are a lot of great amps out there, this one seemed to fit just right.

Someone mentioned Conrad Johnson. I also listened to one of those not long ago and thougt that it sounded nice too.
(more like the Classe in terms of warmth). I really like that champagne finish.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks