What's new

New Amp? (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Enoch
Earlier, I explained the problem with my 9 yr old Yamaha RX-V3000, and so I am thinking about replacing it in my new system. I mostly watch TV and Movies, but I also want good quality for audio CDs. My wife and I are over 60, with the usual loss of audio acuity, so we are satisfied with our current speakers. Here's what I have:
Toshiba Regza 55SV670U TV
Oppo BDP-83 Blu-ray Disk Player
TiVo HD XL tuner/dvr
An old Sony VCR (would like to be able to show family VCRs on the new TV)
2 Boston Accustics VR-M60 for L&R
Boston Accoustics VR-MC for center
Boston Accoustics PV600 powered subwoofer
2 B&W LM1 for surround
I also have a Monster HTS5000 power center and a "Harmony" remote, which I am going to update.

I was trying to use the Yamaha for the amp by running analog 5/1 from the Oppo and an optical from the Tivo to the Yamaha, but I assume I will change this if I get a new Amp.

The old system (including the Yamaha) and a Panasonic Plasma monitor, was purchased and installed by an AV retailer, so I never have been comfortable with setting the Yamaha, and the power center is a mystery to me. I would like to simplify if possible so I can understand and install myself.

So, what are your recommendations? I have seen people recommend Tuners for $1,000 and more, and that is a little steep for my budget. I would like to stay in the $500-$600 range if I can.

Frank A

Stunt Coordinator
Primo, I think any of the more familiar manufacturer AVR's would fit your bill. I would think most of the newer models all have hdmi and analog/optical hookups. Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon, Pioneer, I'm sure would all work wonderfully and at your price, they would all pretty much be similar, I think, in quality and features. I'm not sure how your vcr would hook up to one, so do make sure one you choose will have that connection.

I don't know much about the Monster power center, someone else will have to help you with that. Actually, it sounds like a pretty decent setup to me.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I don't see the need for a power conditioner. Unless your house is really old with poor quality wires and/or fuse box/control panel a good strip style surge protector like this one from Tripp-Lite (or Belkin, APC, etc.) should be good enough. Some might say there is an improvement in sound or picture quality with the "cleaner" power of a power conditioner but I'm skeptical. Looks to me like it was a source of revenue for the AV retailer.
As for installing your equipment again, it's much easier with a new hdmi equiped receiver. The Denon-790 or 1910 and the Onkyo-607 and 706 are in the $500-600 range. These all have Audyssey automatic setup and Eq as well as Dynamic Volume and Dynamic EQ which would really come in handy. Audyssey will also set the speaker volumes, distance, subwoofer output and equalize the room for proper acoustics making setup a snap. Pioneer offers their own setup program called MCACC and Harman Kardon also have their EZSet/EQ. If you wanted to stick with Yamaha then the 765 for $499 from Amazon would be a good choice. It doesn't have Audyssey but uses there own automatic setup feature called YAPO. New electronics are somewhat confusing at first but with a little patience they can be setup by the consumer.

Users who are viewing this thread