New Amp, Maybe?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Tim Jin, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

I've been using a Panasonic amp with my home theater setup. Sometimes, at certain bass frequency, my left and right speaker's tweeters makes this bad buzz. I am using KRK's studio monitors for my 5.1 setup. I have replace both tweeters and replaced both crossovers in the speakers. I have also replaced the speaker cables and the optical cable from the DVD to the amp. I still get the awful buzzing noise from certain DVD's.

I don't know what else to replace other then the receiver.

Could it be possible that the internal crossovers inside of the receiver aren't working as they should?

Thanks!

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Aren't those active (powered) speakers? How are you connecting them to the receiver?

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Your tweeters shouldn't make any noise at all with bass frequencies...regardless of the crossover working correctly, because they physically cannot reproduce lower frequencies.

If it does it at specific times only on certain DVDs, and is repeatable, it is highly unlikely that it the speaker wire or interconnects are related, unless something was loose or damaged.

Does it do the same thing in stereo? Is it independent of volume? Do you have the speakers set to small? What amp/receiver? You could be clipping the speakers with too little power.

KRK has both active and passive speakers. He didn't say which models, so there's no way to know.

4. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

My KRK's aren't powered. They are passive speakers. I have KRK Rokits. The receiver is a Panasonic SA-HE200K.

The buzzing noise does not happen all of the time. 90% of the time, there is no problem, but on certain DVD's, the tweeters goes crazy.

I checked all of my connections and there is nothing loose or rattling inside of the speakers. All of the cabling are plugged into place and there is no problem. I had my setup for over two years with the same speakers and amp and I still can't pin point the actual problem.

The only thing that I can think of, is the amp.

What do you mean if I have the speakers set to small?

Thanks!

5. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

Your comment is starting to make sense because I never have change the speaker settings in the amp. Actually, I never knew that the amp has speaker settings.

Here is the manual for my amp. I never knew about the speakers settings.

I will give it a try later and keep you posted.

Thanks!

6. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

Thanks for the tip.

So far so good.