What's new

New Amp for Quatro 15" (1 Viewer)

MikeGee

Second Unit
Well after a couple years of having my Dayton Quatro 15" outta commission posing as a coffee table. I'm finally looking for a new amp for it. I used to have the 240amp from Parts Express and was terribly disappointed with the quality of the product despite the great reviews..Was contemplating getting a Bash amp but i'd prefer not dealing with PE due to crazy shipping/custom charges.
I've been looking around at new amps and have been looking at getting away from looking plate amps this time around and am thinking of getting an amp that will sit on my equipment rack

The only company I've really looked at now is Behringer. I was looking to spend around 300$ canadian on an amp.

Basically i got a 15" Quatro in a 5.5cu box that is ported. From what I was told is this should be in the 20hz range.

I used to have super overpowering low bass but absolutly nothing in the 30-50hz range, even with all speakers set to 'small' and crossover at 80hz. I don't know if the amp itself would be to blame for that or just the fact that a HT sub is not the same as a dedicated music sub. I don't mind giving up a bit of low end bass for somthing in the middle.

Are there any amps that anyone can reccomend me checkout.

Thanks alot for any help

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You only need about 300w on a Quatro to push it to the max. You will be wasting the potential of an amp if you go with a Behringer unless you plan to upgrade in the future. I use a Behringer EP-2500 to drive a pair of 15's similar to this - http://www.audiopulse.com/products/subwoofer-drivers/axis

If you want to order from Canada, then CSS is the go-to store - http://www.creativesound.ca/products.php?category=Amplifiers&make=CSS

Basically i got a 15" Quatro in a 5.5cu box that is ported. From what I was told is this should be in the 20hz range.

I used to have super overpowering low bass but absolutly nothing in the 30-50hz range, even with all speakers set to 'small' and crossover at 80hz. I don't know if the amp itself would be to blame for that or just the fact that a HT sub is not the same as a dedicated music sub. I don't mind giving up a bit of low end bass for somthing in the middle.
Have you plotted the in-room frequency response of just your sub? It could be a room mode causing the perceived gap in the 30-50hz range. Do you mean it plays down to 20hz or it is tuned to 20hz? What is the difference between a 'HT sub' and a 'music sub'? Shouldn't all subs accurately reproduce the signal that is sent to it whether that signal is part of music or the LFE of a DVD?

MikeGee

Second Unit
Hey thanks for that link to the CSS site. I think i'm going to go with the Bash300 plate amp for now since its perfect for my budget.

I was thinking about upgrading when I eventually get around to doing my dual 15" sonotubes but for now this is plenty of bass.
As far as my in-room frequencies go, I know that the way this room is designed it has alot of bass gain in random areas of the room. However I'm redoing my basement and gutting it and am gonna have my setup in a much more neutral and dedicated location where I can manage the acoustics much better. and hopefully this will solve my 30-50hz lack of bass issue.

Also I'm not sure if the same applies to subwoofers as it does regular speakers but I always found that certain speaker setups are geared more for music than movies or vice versa where as they can have more power in a specific range of sound.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Actually a good speaker system should be flat across its entire operating spectrum. Some people like that 50hz, chest thumping bass but that is usually becuase they are used to that from their car stereo days. Once you hear a flat or relatively flat system that accurately reproduces all material most will change their minds.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks