New amp and two speakers - $1k budget.

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Marcel D., Sep 27, 2006.

1. Marcel D.

Marcel D. Auditioning

I never really thought of buying just two instead of all 6 speakers until now. If I did this I could spend more on each speaker when the time comes. So right now I'm looking for a 2.0 speaker setup with a 5.1 channel amp (or more channels) for $1000 maximum.

2. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

You might want to look at the AV123 site for both the speakers and amp. They are sold out of all amps right now, but should have them back in stock by the time you make up your mind. I saw speakers for $219 and one of their amps is $600-$700.

3. Marcel D.

Marcel D. Auditioning

Thanks for the quick reply but thats not quite what I'm looking for. I don't know why I said amp but what I meant to say is that I'm looking for a multi-channel receiver. As for the speakers, I'd prefer floor standing since book shelfs don't fill a room like towers do.

4. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Marcel, with all due respect, these days, many people prefer to go with bookshelf speakers, and a subwoofer on a $1,000 budget. Virtually everyone recommends that you set the crossover on your receiver to 80Hz, and redirect the bass < 80Hz to a subwoofer. The receivers have this crossover built-in. I am going to put together a sample system or two for you to consider.

1 pair Onix x-ls in white shadow maple $219 + Stands $129. Or, their will be an x-ls tower in a few months for $319/pair (since you really want towers).

Pioneer receiver 816, $245 delivered from Amazon.com

SVS-PB10NSD subwoofer, ~$480 delivered, from Forum Sponsor SVS.

Total with bookshelves & stands = $1075. Total with x-ls towers = $1044. Of course, the x-ls towers are not yet available, but are probably well worth waiting for. [​IMG]

5. Marcel D.

Marcel D. Auditioning

According to reviews those speakers and that sub sound incredible for the price. Seems like a good choice to me. The room the speakers are going in is on the small side so the book shelfs shouldn't have any trouble there. But the receiver seems to be on the lower end of product line. I have a Pioneer VSX D-514 which is a very harsh sounding receiver although it could be my speakers. I'm just wondering if this receiver will degrade the quality of these speakers.

6. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Marcel

There certainly are people who prefer other brands of receivers. I believe the Pioneer has room/speaker EQ to automatically set tonal balance, and, I believe you can then make adjustments to taste. Still, there are other receivers in this price range. I found Onkyo to be rather mellow. Don't know what models they have at

7. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

You could get Ascend Acoustics 170SE and a sub from Hsu or SVS to go with one of the Panasonic XR series digital receivers for your $1000.