What's new

New AMP, am I hearing things???? (1 Viewer)

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
I just got a new amp yesterday it is a marshsounddesigns a400s (www.marshsounddesign.com), It is a 2X200w amp and it is HUGE (compared to what I am use to). My old amp (that I am now using as center and rears, was a Rotel 976 (exact same circuitry as the new 1066 amp). So I went from using the rotel in 3X150 as my front 3 speaks and a NAD 214 2X80 for my rears, now I have the Marsh 2X200 for fronts and the rotel 3X150 for the other 3 (so all channels got upgraded).
As I was listening I was trying to hear a difference, then I immediately gave up thinking "I am not going to hear a big difference right away, don't even bother straining your ears". So I continue to listen to music to enjoy it, NOT compare. Well, as I start relaxing I noticed more of subtle details in the music I was listening too. I really noticed it when watching/listening to Metallica S&M dvd (I know it isn't even DTS, so how would I notice more detail with a poor resolution?), but the highs, the detail of the cymbols, the crackling of the horns etc... just seemed to have more detail. This is similar to when I started to listen to SACD and DVD-a (on a very good disc), but not quite as dramatic.
somtimes I wonder if it is my imagination, but the interesting thing is that i really started to notice it when I told myself not to worry about it, and just relax and enjoy the music.
btw, I am running B&W cdm7 mains and cdmcnt center, with a parasound pre/pro, the marsh amp was a demo so it has already been "broken in"
any thoughts???

Kevin Deacon

Second Unit
I know I heard a difference when I first listened to my new Parasound 2003A 220x3 as compared to an old kenwood receiver 100x2. The soundstage is wider and like you said the details were more forthcoming. Simply awesome, for now!

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
I guess that is why I bought it to hear a difference, but sometimes it is hard to believe, BUT after all I am comparing a $2300 amp (which some reveiws say competes with the super high end $6,000-10,000 amps) to a $600 rotel, I guess it is a little unfair to compare, but I am definately not one of those to say that a $150 receiver sounds as good as a $10,000 levinson amp, that is for sure.

JaleelK

Second Unit
I guess that is why I bought it to hear a difference, but sometimes it is hard to believe, BUT after all I am comparing a $2300 amp (which some reveiws say competes with the super high end $6,000-10,000 amps) to a $600 rotel, I guess it is a little unfair to compare, but I am definately not one of those to say that a $150 receiver sounds as good as a $10,000 levinson amp, that is for sure.

Who said that a $150 receiver sounds as good as a Levison amp? What some folks will say, one way to know if does or don't is to compare them in a properly set set-up Double Blind Level matched listening test. Once you do that and listener doesn't know which is the Levison and which the cheap $150 amp and challenge the listener choose which amp is which beyond 50%, the point of guessing, if the person(s)can detect sonic differences that person can say which ne may thinks sounds better.

Joe Casey

Stunt Coordinator
Rodney,

Listen to me:

You are hallucinating; you're perception of reality is skewed; you are wasting your money.

All you really need is a cheapo 40W Fisher car amp to make your speakers sing. How dare you imply you heard a difference! Don't you know there are some of us who can't/don't hear a difference? Not because it doesn't exist, but because the differences you are hearing were not verified as follows with a double-blind listening test as follows:

-atmospheric pressure of 30"

-128 feet above sea level

-blood-pressure reading of 109/68

-ambient temp of 72.34 degrees F

-recently brushed your teeth with Sensodyne

-dewaxed and irrigated your ears

-body temp of 98.8 degrees F

-sitting in the lotus position

And of course all this has be performed at a specific global coordinate, the absolute south pole.

If you did not perform the test as described above, you are hearing things.

-

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Here we go again :rolleyes. If you read on the net thatn all amps sound the same, then it must be true :rolleyes. I've done the old switch of the cables while my wife and friend tried to decide whether the amp or the receiver sounded better. Well you know what? They ended up picking the amp everytime. Everyone had a sock tied over there eyes(and yes the socks were clean:D). Yes there is a difference, but for those who read acticles on the internet and don't actually listen to equipment. Well I guess for those people there's no difference. If you don't listen to equipment, but ONLY read about it. Then yes they all sound the same, but if you actually LISTEN then you can tell a difference.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
somtimes I wonder if it is my imagination, but the interesting thing is that i really started to notice it when I told myself not to worry about it, and just relax and enjoy the music.
It isn't your imagination, at least, I hope it isn't! What you are describing is what should happen when you upgrade to a higher quality amp. :)

Adam Krogul

Stunt Coordinator
i must agree.....
i just bought that same amp and a marsh pre-amp and i couldn't believe the difference... although i was coming from a denon 3600....
btw nice purchase :P
l8rz,
adam:b

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
It probably is your inagination, and so what. :) My imagination is doing the same thing from my recent upgrade to separates.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
When I upgraded, I noticed a warmth added to my soundstage that was never present. Also the soundstage is much, much bigger!!!

JaleelK

Second Unit
Here we go again . If you read on the net thatn all amps sound the same, then it must be true . I've done the old switch of the cables while my wife and friend tried to decide whether the amp or the receiver sounded better. Well you know what? They ended up picking the amp everytime. Everyone had a sock tied over there eyes(and yes the socks were clean). Yes there is a difference, but for those who read acticles on the internet and don't actually listen to equipment. Well I guess for those people there's no difference. If you don't listen to equipment, but ONLY read about it. Then yes they all sound the same, but if you actually LISTEN then you can tell a difference.

I guess this directed at me. Maybe I should cancel my internet account, because he doesn't I think I should read things on the internet. Or maybe I should keep my account and just look at the pictures. I listen to equipment all the time, but if the experts of audio say that the only real way to determine if audio differences are detectable between cables, amps, DACs, CD players etc. is by performing a properly conducted Double blind level matched listening test. It doesn't matter if I read on the internet or not, the facts are the facts, you can't get around it. its commonsense, if for example, one claims he can hear differences between his 10K Krell amp and $800 Yamaha mass market amp, no one is saying he can't, what I'm saying to you and others is, you should be able to tell the differences in a DBT. This what all the true audio experts have agreed upon. There is nothing I can do or say to change the facts already established by them.

JaleelK

Second Unit
When I upgraded, I noticed a warmth added to my soundstage that was never present. Also the soundstage is much, much bigger!!!
If those differences you noticed real, should that warmth be present even in a double blind level matched test? Was is about DBT that would make those differences vanish?

Alex F.

Second Unit
He must have eaten his Wheaties today, gentlemen. He's all over the board. Lots of energy to again bring up his convoluted "facts," misquoted experts, and mystery components he has never heard in person.

In case you haven't heard, you-know-who is funding and setting up an extensive, multi-million-dollar metaphysical DBT testing lab. Everyone here is invited over to utilize the facility before purchasing any component. He will have on hand every component manufactured today (well, not actually there in the physical sense). Round-trip and hotel accommodations will be provided at no cost. So from now on, don't waste your time uselessly listening to components in local stores or at home with your eyes open. Instead, take advantage of an all-expense-paid trip to San Jose and listen with your eyes, ears, and mind closed. Just like you-know-who!

Rodney: Enjoy that new amp!

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
JaleelK,

What is your point??? I think all of us here on HTF would like to know!!!!

Joe Casey

Stunt Coordinator
Jaleel,

So if I understand you correctly, the last time you made an upgrade to your system your purchase was based on having conducted a DBT of the component in question?

I don't dispute that a DBT of a component is helpful, but here's how I see it:

In the past year I've upgraded amps and digital front end in my system (audio). In both instances I brought the components home, kept them for a few weeks, and made a determination as to whether I liked the differences in the new components. I then looked at thier price tags and determined if the cost difference was worth the upgrade. Quite simple and realistic.

So, what is the point of your bringing up the issue of DBT every time a person is pleased with an upgrade they made in thier system? I don't see your point other than to put them down and redicule them. I look at this insanity (audio systems) as a hobby. You can do what you like in a hobby. There are no rules. If a person says they like a new component in thier system becasue of X, Y and Z, I'm happy for them, even if I find thier purchase absurd.

You really need to clarify your obsession with DBT's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks