New Alison Krauss Live SACD....Wonderful!!!

Discussion in 'Music' started by Evan S, Apr 4, 2003.

1. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Just some quick notes on this two disc set. This is another outstanding effort from Rounder. There have been some advance comments on AA about this one not sounding as good as previous Rounder efforts, but I have to disagree. I cannot comment on the 5.1 mix right now because I temporarily only have a two channel setup, but for live recordings, this one is exemplary. Very clean recording. I heard they used 32 different microphones to capture this, and I believe it. Alison's voice sounds perfect, just like the records.

At first I thought the LFE mix was a little bass shy, but that is because 24 of 25 tracks use an acoustic bass, which is a more subtle effect. On "Forget About It", they use an electric bass which is there in full force, trust me. Wow, it really has some impact on that track.

My only complaint is with the Super Jewel Box...two discs pressed together with both on only one side...inexcusable. They could have used the same casing found on the Aerosmith "Oh Yeah" set, but didn't. I wonder why?

My only complaint on this awesome SACD. Rounder is easily my favorite studio when it comes to these releases. I can only hope that the forthcoming Sugar Hill releases of Nickel Creek are as good as these. I know it's a different record company, but Alison produced those efforts so hopefully she will have a say in the SACD fidelity.

If you are fan of great music, SACD, or Alison in particular, go out and do yourself a favor...pick up this release.

2. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Evan, Well put. I am really enjoying this sacd.

3. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I'm undecided about the two discs on the spindle thang. I haven't listened to the second disc yet either. The first one was very good on first listen. Maybe, in a year and a half or so I'll be firm about the spindle and know if the discs got nicked? Best wishes!

4. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Evan,

In a way I don't like you for posting this, as I am desparately waiting for this SACD because I have wornout the CD version. I am currently listening to New Favorite on SACD as I type. However, I purchased it from Amazon to use up a gift certificate. Amazon cannot tell me when I will get mine because, as Amazon put it, this is an amazingly popular item and they do not have enough stock to fill orders. Problem is I placed my order over a month ago. So either Amazon screwed up, and won't admit it, or (if they are telling the truth), this will be one of the biggest selling SACDs to date.

5. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

George, that was YOU who posted that on AA?!?! I feel for you man. That's a total bummer.

What I love about this disk is all the older material I didn't have yet. I only have "New Favorite", "Forget About It" and "So Long, So Wrong". There is some great material on this two disc set that I haven't heard yet and it sounds great...like all the AK&US SACD's. George it will be worth the wait, especially on your new GR's.

6. george king

Evan,

Yea that was me. I am kind of frustrated with Amazon, as we keep trading e-mails, and I get the same response. I ordered the Norah Jones from them, and I hope that won't be a nightmare, but I am not holding my breath. Amazon claims there is not set release date for NJ, even when I sent them a copied annoucement I took from High Fidelity.

You remember the GRs. I am really enjoying music again, what with the GRs and the SACD player. My pocketbook has felt the hit (and the wife is getting suspicious) as all this new music is in the house (I always buy for her too, I just got her the Live Tower of Power (she loves funk) and she surprised the hell out me. She said, is that one of your new CDs, and when I said yes, she said they have never sounded so good. My wife NEVER hears a difference). I must have bought about 25-30 SACDs in the last couple of months. It is a real treat. So right now, Alison ended, DSOTM is playing, Diana Krall after that, then some Dylan. It will be 1 or 2 am before I go to bed.

Have a good evening.

7. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    George, that Tower Of Power disc is a definite winner. It may be an early release but it's one they got right. I put it in the changer alot, stille. Best wishes!

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I received some empty double-disc Super Jewel Boxes from superjewelbox.com (I dealt with Andrew Schuur), so when I get the new Krauss set, I'll just switch cases.

9. george king

Keith,

That is great news.

I just cancelled my Amazon order when I got another e-mail back saying that it was a popular item and they are filling it on a first come first serve basis (makes no sense to me). Oh well, time to go to BB today and pick it up.

10. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I hooked up my 555ES in my theatre last night and listened to disc one in M/C. I was impressed, not as impressed as I was with DSOTM but it was quite good. I've only listened to disc two in stereo so far. Maybe it'll go downstairs 2-nite?

11. george king

Well, I got mine from BB today. Evan, you are right, it is great. MUCH better than the CD, and I thought the CD was great.

12. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

George, we are in very similar situations. I too am breaking in new speakers (actually, they are fully broken in now) in 25th anniversary ACI Sapphires. I listened to both disk 1 and disk 2 in full tonight and really think, upon reflection, that it's better than even I originally thought. This is just great sounding music. Simple as that. The recording is just short of perfect. So good in fact, that you forget it's a live recording at times.

13. george king

Evan,

I agree. I am listening to disc 2 now. My wife thinks I am nuts, because I have had the set going pretty much non-stop all day.

How are the speakers. I almost went the ACI route, but the GRs were cheaper in the end.

Take care

14. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

15. george king

Evan,

I understand completely. Since I got the GRs the desire to upgrade speakers is largely gone. I would have to spend a lot more money to get much of a benefit, and given everything else, I am not willing to do it.

Ever since I got the speakers and SACD player, the number of movies I have watched has dropped off considerably, but I am listening to a lot more music.

Have a great day.

George

16. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Evan,

Krauss and Rounder are both favorites of mine. Thanks for posting a review.

[​IMG]

17. Piers C

Piers C Stunt Coordinator

Dan,

Thanks for providing the contact info for Super Jewel on the 2-disc spindle packaging of this new SACD.

FWIW, I passed on the following comments to the company and Rounder:

18. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

WAAHOO!!!! I am going to see them tonight[​IMG]

19. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Dan, you lucky dog! Please file a report here!

20. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

WOW, Truly a wonderful night. AKUS are consonant performers. Amazing how sarcastic and humorous Alison is. The sound was awesome(almost as good as my sacd---that was for Lee[​IMG] ). They played for 2 straight hours. Surely an A+ concert. Also, my first country/bluegrass concert:b