What's new

New Adventure of Huckleberry Finn (1 Viewer)

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Anyone remember the Hanna-Barbera Production "The New Adventures of Huckleberry Finn"
on NBC Sunday nights during 1968-69 where they combined live action with animation?
Tom, Huck amd Becky were live actors the rest animated
Has this ever been released on video? did a search but couldn't find anything

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
The folks at Warner archives facebook wrote that this was planned for eventual release.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
The folks at Warner archives Facebook say that about 99% of the shows they get asked about.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
The folks at Warner archives Facebook say that about 99% of the shows they get asked about.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Neil Brock said:
Either that or "we have no present plans for this show and it may have music issues but keep looking as you never know what will happen"

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Yeah the biggest mistake they made was to start answering the publics questions on Facebook about releases. They should not provide any answers to release questions at all like all the other studios and just release their product when its ready and make annoucements when they are ready.

ThatDonGuy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don Del Grande
Originally Posted by GMpasqua
Anyone remember the Hanna-Barbera Production "The New Adventures of Huckleberry Finn"
on NBC Sunday nights during 1968-69 where they combined live action with animation?
It's more popular than you might think, as it was part of the Banana Splits syndication package (in fact, other than for the Banana Splits episodes, that was the only show in the package where they kept the show's own closing credits).

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I would think it might help to know who exactly it is that posts there. Is it someone with an intimate knowledge of what they are doing or is it a 19 year old intern?

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I would think it might help to know who exactly it is that posts there. Is it someone with an intimate knowledge of what they are doing or is it a 19 year old intern?

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Neil Brock said:
Actually, in my experience, they usually don't respond. I don't think it's a mistake to answer questions simply because some people are going to find something to complain about. Those people will complain no matter what. I appreciate the opportunity to contact someone, and I only wish they would respond more often with more detail. For example, since the Banana Splits shows on Boomerang, I would like to know where that stands.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Neil Brock said:
Either way it wouldn't matter as people have different ideas: Some are grateful that they answer questions and understand that they are working on so many different titles in the Vast Warner library and realise there are many different reasons that can be delaying a release and others expect their personal wants released immediately and anything less than that is failure by the studio. So the best solution is to not answer release questions at all like all other studios.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I asked them on Facebook about Enos, the one season spin-off of The Dukes of Hazzard. I got a very prompt, very polite reply saying that they have looked into it, that the series needed remastered (I highly doubt it's ever been in syndication) and there could be possible music rights to deal with. Of course, they couldn't give me a release date or even say IF it was ever going to be released, but I did at least get a response. That's more than what you get from CBS HE on their Facebook page. I've seen numerous people make requests for shows, especially Petticoat Junction and The Beverly Hillbillies, and they're ignored. Those are the only two "fan pages" I frequent as far as studios go. Well, Shout! sometimes and they're always polite and generally respond, too.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
JoeDoakes said:
Actually, in my experience, they usually don't respond. I don't think it's a mistake to answer questions simply because some people are going to find something to complain about. Those people will complain no matter what. I appreciate the opportunity to contact someone, and I only wish they would respond more often with more detail. For example, since the Banana Splits shows on Boomerang, I would like to know where that stands.
I asked them about it on Facebook. Apparently still in limbo due to issues with the elements. (Cliff's Notes version: Three choices -- edited half-hours, full shows on dubs of Quad video masters with color banding issues, or various segments in 35mm film which are all separated and not assembled into shows. Research and reconstruction necessary.) As far as Huckleberry Finn, I think any of those I ever saw on Boomerang looked like they originated from 16mm syndication prints. They skipped the show opening, I suspect because the opening on the shows was the syndicated Banana Splits intro and not the original. So without having any "insider knowledge" but being somewhat familiar with the material, my best guess is either they are only handy in 16mm and/or they don't have a decent master of the show opening/prologue -- there were two different ones, one with Aunt Polly and one without, then they'd have to figure out which one goes on which episodes.

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Randy Korstick said:
Yeah the biggest mistake they made was to start answering the publics questions on Facebook about releases. They should not provide any answers to release questions at all like all the other studios and just release their product when its ready and make annoucements when they are ready.
Randy, I am fine about them mentioning upcoming release but only if it is 100% definite. Also, they need to sure about the release date. Last year, I had seen that Prince Planet (1960's Japanese cartoon) was to be release. Like a month before it mysterious dissappeared from the schedule with no explanation. What is it with these studios? How unprofessional to think you can release something and then find out at the last minute you can't. I have a hard time imagining how that happens. Don't say a word until you are 100% sure you will and can release something and exactly what the release date is. If you can't meet those requirements then don't discuss it with the public and come back when you can and not before.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Somebody was saying on another forum (probably years ago) that the Huck elements were a mess, worse than the Banana Splits elements. So, a lot of work would be necessary. And I believe it, simply because I recall watching it first-run, then in its earliest syndication--there was a definite decline in quality. They were probably using 16mm prints for syndie. Who knows if the originals were hacked up, prior to syndication, as have so many other shows? I don't think Warners have even looked at what they've got in the vaults for this show in many, many years. But I did love it. I wish they'd do something about it, and reunite and interview the cast. They're all still going strong.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Interesting about the elements. I wonder how bad of a mess they could be -- at least Huckleberry Finn was a half-hour show to begin with, and was a narrative with a self-contained story over a half-hour, so there was little reason for parts of the show to be cut up and lost. Sounds like maybe all they have "in hand" are 16mm syndication prints, and if that's the case, it's at least something. The major problem would be the prologues on the episodes -- I don't think they were unique to the episode, but I do know there were at least two different ones used over the season. I like the idea of cast interviews as extras, that would be interesting. I did once run across an online interview with LuAnn Haslam, who played Becky Thatcher.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I never saw this show when it first came on, because it ran opposite Lassie (nothing on Earth would pry me from this show). My first experience with this show was the "Banana Splits" Version that aired in syndication in the early-mid 1970s. Another H-B series I'd like to see released is The Adventures of Gulliver, which was also had a "Banana Splits" Version. Even though I've been able to acquire all three of these series from "another source" I'd still be more than happy to get official versions IF they're ever issued.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks