New Adire 12" driver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alexis, Aug 2, 2002.

1. Alexis

Alexis Stunt Coordinator

Adire has a pre-order for their new dipole 12" woofer. Even if you don't use it in dipole configuration, the specs look comparable to the Shiva, but it costs less at $95. It looks better built than the Shiva too
    http://www.adireaudio.com/diy/Drivers/Adire/dpl12.htm
    I don't have any modeling software on hand, but how would this driver compare to the Shiva or Titanics in a sealed 85L enclosure?
    What do you guys think?

2. It actually models quite well for non-dipole use. I was doing such last night, but forget what the exact details were.

3. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

They say the preorder is through the end of July, which has past already...I didn't know about this, and at that price, I might have to pick one up. Anybody know if it's still going?

4. Mark Seaton

Mark Seaton Supporting Actor

Mark Seaton
    Hmmmmm... Maybe I'm just a sick puppy (who, me?) but this driver just screams Infinite Baffle to me used in pairs or more with about 250W/pair. This would also be ideal for a larger sealed box where you can hide the box somewhat. In a 2-3 cu.ft. would be a wonderful match to most moderate sized rooms where room gain would get you to or below 20Hz. Use a pair and you should be quite happy with the output for the non-addicts, and 4 would be my preference IF you have main speakers to keep up with them. As mentioned on the website, the LAB bass horn would also be an application for these, albeit for lighter duty use than the LAB 12 driver.

5. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

They look like the subwoofers made by Lambda (sp?), and apparently they are very good drivers. Wonder if anyone around here has used one of these.

6. Alexis

Alexis Stunt Coordinator

What is their efficiency compared to the Shiva? This might be an issue since I won't be using a big amp to run it?

7. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

I picked up four of these in February in the original order when they were $75 a pop. I discuss my dipole use of them in this thread:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=84966
    They use the same 12-spoke basket as the Lambdas, that's all to the similarity.
    I plan to try them in IB (my original intention for them), but the dipole thing has really got me hooked. Sealed, it's similar to the Titanic but with more Xmax and a non-poly cone. Vented, you can get extemely low F3 in a moderate sized box.

8. Alexis

Alexis Stunt Coordinator

I guess with an IB design, the only way to get more spl is to increase the number of drivers, more power won't do it...
    I have a 85L sealed and 100% stuffed enclosure with an original SVS driver. It already sounds great, but I am getting greedy and want more. [​IMG]
    Does anyone know anything about the drivers that VMPS uses? I have seen some old VMPS subs sold for cheap...
    John, I've been using Adire's LPScad program to do my modeling, but it doesn't have the dpl12 yet.

9. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer