What's new

New - ? about Wega service settings (1 Viewer)

jack pollard

Auditioning
Hello All!

What a great site, excellent information and reading, thanks to all the posters.

My humble system; Kenwood HTB-504, Sony KV36FS17 and JVC XVS65. Not the greatest, but it really blows us away.

I searched through all the wega and service threads and I tried a few of the tweaks, specifically Chuck's and Keohi's and come up with the following; Chuck says make AXPL 0, Keohi says make it 1. My default was 0, made it 1 and much less red, but not entirly lifelike. Is there not standard to the 1's and 0's? Also, I see most people cut sharpness way down, and use movie mode... I try & try and the pic seems way to dark and soft. I have the Avia on its way (alldirect.com $34.00).

Any suggestions on surefire wega tweaks that everyone seems happy with?

Thanks!

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Jack - Once you get used to the picture without all of the artificial information, you will be blown away at how realistic everything looks. By "artificial information," I mean the edge artifacts that upping the sharpness control on your TV adds to the image. Sharpness doesn't really do anything for the image at all. It just adds artificial information to make the edges of objects stand out more. That's also why it's referred to as "Edge Enhancement."
Since you've been watching an artificial image for awhile, the calibrated image will not look as real. Over time you will get used to it and you will see that the calibrated image is the correct one.
Video Essentials goes into detail on the sharpness setting a bit more. I haven't used Avia but I would think that it goes into detail on this as well. Avia users, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Have fun with your calibrated setup! :)

jack pollard

Auditioning
Thanks for the response Brian, I'm beginning to see what you mean. We re-watched Gladiator last night, and it was excellent in the softer movie mode. I guess it's just wait for the Avia.

Regards

Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks