"New" ABBA music...well, sort of...

Discussion in 'Music' started by EricSchulz, Apr 18, 2004.

1. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

I just heard the first single from Agnetha Faltskog's (the blond one) new CD and it's wonderful! It's called "If I Ever Thought You'd Change Your Mind". I believe that the new CD is mostly covers (although I am not familiar with this song if it is one). The track sounds as though it was lifted off of "The Visitors" or "Super Trouper". There are three different versions available: the album version, the "blue mix" and the "Almighty Dance Mix". The first two versions are on CD1 and the dance mix on CD2 of the import CD singles. I believe the full CD comes out in June, although I hear conflicting reports as to whether or not it will be released in the US. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, especially for ABBA fans!

Edit:
    The new CD is called "My Colouring Book" and it is being released tomorrow (4/19/04) in the UK. It is indeed a collection of 60's pop songs. I am ordering this one tonight!

Edit:
    HMV lists it as a 4/19 release, Amazon.com says 4/26 and Amazon.ca says 5/04. Confusion....

2. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    Anyone selling it as an import in the US?

3. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

Amazon.com has it listed for $29.49; Amazon.ca has it for $32.99CA (approx. $24.50US); HMV has it for 9.99 British Pounds (approx. $18.00US). I have used HMV in the past. The service is excellent. Usually get my stuff in 7-10 days. Plus, they have the singles available, too. (1.99BP for CD1, 2.99BP for CD2)

4. andrew markworthy

The whole album is a cover of songs from the early 60s or thereabouts. It's important to remember that all the members of Abba had been active (and pretty successful) on the Scandanavian music scene for a good many years before they joined together as Abba. In many ways, this is a return to Agnetha's roots. Alas, all promotional appearances by Agnetha in connection with the album have been cancelled - I read that this is due to a stalker. [​IMG]

I have my copy on order from UK CD Wow and I hope to get it in the next couple of days.

5. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

Ordered the CD, both singles and the R2 "ABBA In Concert" from HMV tonight...it's gonna be a LONG week....

6. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    Now i want ABBA The Movie on DVD!

7. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

Me too! Well at least it's being worked on and in the meantime the ABBA in Concert DVD is coming soon to R1. I saw it all over the place in Europe a couple of weeks ago before I returned to the US. I was tempted to buy it but they were PAL.

I'm looking forward to Agnetha's new album. Warners has an official website for her with plenty of goodies at www.agnetha.se

Btw I'll be seeing the opening night's performance of Mamma Mia here in L.A. on Thursday- my birthday! [​IMG]

8. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

I took my mom (she's 78) to see it in Chicago for Mother's Day. We both absolutely loved it! Yes, it's a little cheesy, and it's no "West Side Story", but it doesn't pretend to be. It's fun and upbeat, and most of the songs are pretty cleverly worked into the story. You'll definitely leave with a smile on your face.

9. andrew markworthy

The album arrived today. I've listened to it a couple of times.

FWIW, here are my humble opinions:

(1) although it's a covers album, unless you are really into obscure ballads of the 60s, the tunes will be new to you.

(2) don't expect it to hit home the first time you hear it. On first listen I thought it quite disappointing (I think I've been spoilt by listening to Dusty Springfield's Greatest Hits too much). However, on repeated plays it definitely grows on you. There is one track I'm already skipping over (the one largely spoken with the Moonlight Sonata playing in the background) but the rest is just fine.

(3) production of the voice and stereo positioning is excellent, but I wouldn't be using this as a bass demo disc.

10. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Amazon.co.uk has very good service too. They ship faster than HMV (which I've also used and recommend as a backup). HMV tends to have better prices on release-week singles.

And as the Amazon sites share log-in info, once you're registered in one (i.e., Amazon.com), you should be good to go in any of the worldwide Amazon sites (UK, Canada, etc.).