New A/V receivers are here!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Apr 20, 2002.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

In perusing Crutchfield's web site, I found that the following new receivers are available:
    * Denon AVR-5803 (separate thread here)
    * JVC RX-6020VBK
    * JVC RX-7020VBK
    * Onkyo TX-SR500
    * Onkyo TX-SR600
    * Panasonic SA-HE70
    * Pioneer VSX-D811S
    * Sony STR-DE485
    * Yamaha HTR-5550
    * Yamaha HTR-5560
    With the exception of the Denon '5803, these are budget models, more or less. I assume higher-end models will be coming soon too. This probably explains why the prices of the Sony ES receivers dropped so soon.
    Here is a link to Crutchfield's selection of receivers:
    http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...=4&g=10420&s=0

2. John E F

John E F Stunt Coordinator

Eventhough I really like Onkyo products as I have had three of their receivers and currently own a 898, the feature list on the Yamaha HTR-5560 seems pretty hard to beat for $449. It even has preouts for all channels, the new Onkyo sr600 doesn't. I would really love to hear a side by side comparison. It's pretty exciting to see all the new lower priced models with the features of $800-$1200 models from last year.

3. Ashok

Ashok Agent

Consider that the Onkyo has an adjustable crossover while it seems that the Yamaha is still fixed at 90Hz. The Onkyo also has a 60Mhz component video bandwidth, vs. 30Mhz for the Yamaha. So if you aren't planning to upgrade to an external amp, the Onkyo is certainly a viable choice. And of course how they sound matters too [​IMG].

4. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Keith,
    I picked up my new Denon 5803 yesterday and turned over the B&K 307... All i can say as of now is wooooooooooooooow! what a receiver! I'm getting ready too watch a movie through it now.. more later. [​IMG]

5. Alex Yang

Alex Yang Stunt Coordinator

Chip,
    Please DO let us know how you feel the DENON 5803 stacks up against the B&K 307...??!? Please??!? Pretty please with sugar on top!!! [​IMG]
    Just kidding, I'm sitting on the fence right now on THREE products myself, DENON 5803 is on the list but at the bottom, I've got the Outlaw 950 and the Anthem AVM20 right above it...
    Thanks,
    -Alex

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Chip, glad to hear that you got the '5803. Do let us know how it works out for you.