New $750 system - Thank you to HTF

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by RobSB, Dec 15, 2003.

1. RobSB

RobSB Agent

I just want to say thank you to everybody at the HomeTheaterForum. You guys have helped me pick out my first home theater system, which is...

Fluance SX-HTB
    Dayton 10" Sub
    Harman-Kardon AVR-225 Receiver
    100' x 2 of Sound King 12 ga wire from partsexpress

I'm feeling pretty good about it, and I'm glad I convinced my parents to go this way rather than a crappy HTiB, which was my first option. I used UPS ground shipping, so it should be here in about a week. When I get it all set up and broken in, I'll post again. Until then, a couple questions...

1. Do I need banana plugs or do I just run the wire?
    2. What subwoofer cable should I use? I read just get a coax cable from Radioshack with two F->M converters on the ends. That alright?
    3.Which DVD should I test it out with? LOTR:TTT, Pirates of the Caribbean, Star Wars Ep 1 or 2, The Matrix, something else?!? I can't wait!

P.S. Somebody tell me I bought well so I don't go second guessing myself. Don't lie though. [​IMG]

2. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

Rob

Congrats on the new system! erm, did you forget the DVD player? [​IMG] (HTiBs usually have one built in)

3. RobSB

RobSB Agent

Hehe, no no, I have a DVD player. It's nothing special, I bought it before I knew anything about HT, but it plays DVDs. [​IMG]

A nice progressive-scan one should come in the next couple months when my parents want this one for their room. Until then, the good old JVC it is.

4. kehi

kehi Agent

congrats, have only heard good things about all those products

5. John S

John S Producer

Major congrats, I am sure that system will be absolutely stunning for the long term.

6. Jamie=B

Jamie=B Auditioning

Banna plugs are nice but just running the wire will work just fine.. I use a digital coaxal cable for my sub.. Just dont use the red and white audio cable.. Make sure it a 75 ohm cable..Epsoide 1 pod racing scene is on the THX demo disk so start their if you could get a spl meter and set the room would be a nice touch..

7. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

For the sub I used some spare coax RG6 and bought rca adapters from Radio Shack that screw on the end and give you an rca cable. A digital coax like Jamie mentioned would work and also any video cable(the yellow one of the yellow, red, and white cables). All these are 75 ohm cables.

8. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

Speaking of SPL meters, where can I get an SPL meter cheap? I went to Radio Shack and they had a digital one for $50. Screw that, I'll get an analog one...I don't want to spend that much for something that I'll use rarely. Anyone with H/K receivers, do you have an SPL meter to compare against the EZ Set? How accurate is EZ-Set?

9. Tim Streagle

Tim Streagle Stunt Coordinator

I will check the EZ Set against the Rat Shack meter and let you know. The analog meter is on closeout for about $30.

10. Roger Q

Roger Q Stunt Coordinator

If EZ Set works then great. If not, then get an SPL meter. A properly calibrated system is going to sound much better than one that is poorly/not calibrated. Also, pick up an AVIA calibration disc (~$40) when funds are available. It'll improve the sound and video calibration.

As far as movies go, all the ones listed are good selections. Remember who one of your key audience members is -- your mom. Thus, also consider Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc. and Toy Story 2. Your mom should really appreciate these movies. If so, your next sales pitch when you want (them) to upgrade will be easier.

11. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

I have the H/K AVR-7200. I haven't tried the EZ-Set option yet. I'm just more familiar with using the setup DVD and the Radio Shack SPL meter. I guess I should give the EZ-Set a chance and see how it changes the setup vs. the method I'm currently using.

12. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

Please do, and let me know. [​IMG]

13. Tim Streagle

Tim Streagle Stunt Coordinator

Ez-set on my AVR525 consistently sets levels differently from the RS meter as follows:

Center is 1-2 dB higher than RS meter
    Surrounds are 3-4 dB lower than RS meter

RS meter and remote side by side and pointed at the center speaker approx. ten feet away. I replaced my planar speakers with conventional coned speakers w/ ribbon tweeters and the results were very similar.

I don't consider the surround attenuation a real defect. I typically reduce the surrounds by a similar amount anyway. I usually find them too loud when zeroed with the RS meter.

Gotta love the built in test tone circuitry in the 525!

14. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

I like the Sound & Vision set-up disk, it is ony $18[​IMG]