What's new

New 57HDX82 dead (1 Viewer)

Charlie Daniel

Auditioning
I'm freaking out here. Got the new tv on Monday. It worked great. Looked great. I couldn't have been happier. While I was at work my roommate called me and said the tv just went black. The tv had only been on for 15 minutes. Now I am home and it is still black. You can turn the power on and off and the red light on front goes on and off. When you turn it on you get no audio or video. None of the buttons on the remote do anything. None of the buttons on the front panel do anything. All I can do is press power on the remote or the tv and it turns off and on. I can get no menu or inputs or anything. I've read about the toshiba's that the power light flashes and they can't turn it off but this doesn't seem to be me. If anyone has any suggestions i would love to hear them. Right now it is unplugged form the wall and i'll plug it back in and try again in a few minutes. Please help (or at least comfort :)) Thanks.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Where did you buy it from? If it's a retailer with a liberal grace period in their return policy I would strongly reccomend packing it up and dropping it off on their doorstep first thing tomorrow morning.

Andrew B

Agent
My new 65HDX82 will be going back for a refund. Almost everything short of blowing up and catching fire has happened to mine. It has ghosting, hissing, bad geometry, and that awful new TV smell (not to mention that it did not come with a remote or manual). I have a feeling that whoever is in charge of quality control at Toshiba it on a permanent vacation if you know what I mean. So far every review of a new **HDX82 set that I have read has had problems of some sort with the TV. Anyway I hope you get your problem resolved. For me I am going to have to start looking for a new TV model all over again... Rumor has it the new Hatachai's are nice :wink:

Andrew B

Charlie Daniel

Auditioning
I got it at electronic express. They are one of only two authorized dealers in nashville. I have no no problems with it at all. No ghosts. No hiss. No problems. Of course, now it doesn't work.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
A good friend of mine bought a HDTV last year. In a 2 week period he went through a 2 of them and the third unit, a Sony, stayed stable. They all worked for the first day or so. There is just something about these units that make them fragile.

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
uh andrew...not coming with a remote or manual doesn't sound like toshiba's fault..sounds like you got a used set instead of new like you thought...care to tell where you bought it from?

-ELMO

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The lack of a remote and an owner's manual caught my eye immediately, too. Exchange the set tomorrow. No exceptions.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Did it come in a brand new, sealed box? Or did it "fall off a truck"?

Didn't these sets have a problem like this early on that Toshiba fixed? Kinda sounds like you got someone else's return.

Jan

Andrew B

Agent
The set came brand new and factory sealed, it had not been opened before it arrived. My conclusion is that whoever was doing quality control at the factory that day must have called in sick and not been there. I have since returned the set for a refund (about a month ago). I am now in the process of considering getting an entry level front projection unit, while Toshiba resolves its issues (and while looking at other RP TV brands). I guess I am a bit jaded towards getting another set after my bad experience, at anyrate after having a 65" set for a week my old Toshiba 32" seams kinda small and inadequate :D
Andrew B

MichaelFusick

Second Unit

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks