new 53wx53. a question about progressive scan

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Andy Goldstein, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Andy Goldstein

Andy Goldstein Stunt Coordinator

hi gang! i got a 53" panny last weekend, and i am thrilled with it. but i have a question: i am using a sansui dvd/vcr combo player, and although it has component video out, it does not do progressive scan. does the panny, through its line doubling and 3:2 pulldown, perform de-interlacing and then show the picture as a progressive scan image? or should i spring for a new dvd with p/s?

ag.

2. Chad B

Chad B Stunt Coordinator

Yes, the line doubler in the Panny (or any other TV) will display it as de-interlaced progressive scan.
    Whether it would improve performance to get a p/s DVD player is another matter. There's some merit to doing the deinterlacing on the player's end, but there are so many other performance variables to consider.

3. Andy Goldstein

Andy Goldstein Stunt Coordinator

thanx chad. i have not noticed any strange artifacts with the few dvds i have had a chance to watch, so i think i can put off the replacement dvd purchase until this one craps out. in the meantime, i am wating for my copy of DVE to show up in the mail. i did a quick cal using the thx setup on monsters, inc., and the user convergence, and it looks amazing!

thanx again.

andy g.