What's new

new 53wx53. a question about progressive scan (1 Viewer)

Andy Goldstein

Stunt Coordinator
hi gang! i got a 53" panny last weekend, and i am thrilled with it. but i have a question: i am using a sansui dvd/vcr combo player, and although it has component video out, it does not do progressive scan. does the panny, through its line doubling and 3:2 pulldown, perform de-interlacing and then show the picture as a progressive scan image? or should i spring for a new dvd with p/s?

ag.

Chad B

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, the line doubler in the Panny (or any other TV) will display it as de-interlaced progressive scan.
Whether it would improve performance to get a p/s DVD player is another matter. There's some merit to doing the deinterlacing on the player's end, but there are so many other performance variables to consider.

Andy Goldstein

Stunt Coordinator
thanx chad. i have not noticed any strange artifacts with the few dvds i have had a chance to watch, so i think i can put off the replacement dvd purchase until this one craps out. in the meantime, i am wating for my copy of DVE to show up in the mail. i did a quick cal using the thx setup on monsters, inc., and the user convergence, and it looks amazing!

thanx again.

andy g.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks