What's new

New 50H82, WOW. (1 Viewer)

wayne-sun

Agent
Had my new set delivered on friday. First off I had it delivered right into the basement of my house by two guys that really knew what they were doing. Once they got it in they wouldn't leave until the set was plugged in so they could confirm it worked. While doing this we were talking about big screens and they said that 1 out of 5 tvs they deliver won't fit in the house they deliver it to. After letting the set warm up for a couple of hours (Turned the contrast down to 50 right away) Hit the one touch focus and let it do auto convergance. Have been watching it this weekend without doing anything else and I have to say this is a great set. Had a few neighborhood kids come by and they freaked at the picture. Also had GreatGrandma (80 yrs)by and she says she would like one too. I did watch with all sources (Regular Cable, Sat, VHS, and progressive DVD) and even on the worst source the picture was still very watchable. Will now do some tweaking and see what we can improve on.;)

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
I have had my 50H82 for two weeks now and I am still blown away by the picture quality every time I turn it on!

Happy veiwing.

Greg

Tom Trz

Agent
Hi Wayne,

Do you have regular cable. If so, how does it look stretched on the 16X 9? This question is the one thing holding me back from buying the 50hdx82...most of my viewing is of tv 4:3 material...if the stretch doesn't look acceptable there's no point in getting the wide screen..We will use for dvd's but that's not enough to deal with bars and burn-in.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I am glad you guys are not having any problems. I have the 65hdx82 on order. And have been hearing that they have been going dead a few days after they are used. I hope these were isolated incidents.

wayne-sun

Agent
I run regular cable and Directtv and both look very good in theaterwide 1. It leaves the center of the screen alone and only stretches the edges. Of all the sets I looked at (JVC, Panasonic, Samsung, Toshiba, Sony) the toshiba had the least objectionable stretch modes. Even my wife doesn't mind watching 4:3 material in theaterwide 1.:emoji_thumbsup:

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
I don't understand...don't most sets stretch like that? By leaving the center alone and stretching the sides?

Does anyone think 65" is too big from 12-13 feet away? People can sit closer...but would they want to?

-ELmO

NatL

Stunt Coordinator
I am just about to buy the 50H82, from OneCall. I was in Costco today, though, and they had a 50H12. Does anyone know what the difference is there? It did look great and I imagine it's a very similar set.

I notice it was mounted on wheels - is that the same for the 50H82? (I hope so).

N

WillieM

Stunt Coordinator
wayne-sun

If you would like another super-rush, and at the same time give your RPTV a longer life, check the web for ISF. Call a local certified technician and have your set calibrated. Blacks are blacker, reds and oranges are bolder without any bleeding or blooming.

I have a 50HX81 widescreen and it's sweet!

NatL

Stunt Coordinator
If you would like another super-rush, and at the same time give your RPTV a longer life, check the web for ISF. Call a local certified technician and have your set calibrated. Blacks are blacker, reds and oranges are bolder without any bleeding or blooming.
How much did it cost to get it for this set? Or is that a regional thing?

N

Dreama Slay

Auditioning
As far as stretched viewing on cable/regular tv, it doesn't bother me a bit with our Toshiba 50hd82. I don't even notice that its stretched unless I put it into 4x3 and really compare it, it just makes everything look bigger and thats what I like. :D I don't think the images look too distorted or anything. We sit about 8-10 ft back.
I wanted to ask- when Best Buy delivered our tv, the guys were not going to do it because they said it wouldn't fit and they couldn't take it out of the box becuase there was no grips, (it was going up a narrow, steep stairway to the second floor of the house) After much conversing between them, they decided to get straps and push/pull it up, which was alot of work for them and I felt bad, but what happens if we decide to return it and the next delvery people come here to pick it up or delivery a diffent set? How do you go about moving/manuevering these huge things when there;s no handles?

wayne-sun

Agent
The guy's who moved mine in used moving straps and didn't have any trouble (36" wide stairway down and around a corner to another 36" wide hallway)I've had the TV for just over a month now and it looks better now than when it was first set-up. As far as ISF calibration, nobody in my town even knows what that is. I would have a heck of a time getting it done but who knows, if something works out I would look at it.

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
I don't doubt nobody in your town knows what an ISF is..:D
(Saskatoon, Saskatchewan).
You can always pay for a flight ticket for an ISF to come to you, but that will be expensive....!
Glad your set looks great,
ELmO:star:

NatL

Stunt Coordinator
Did they have an extended warranty available at Costco for the 50H12?

N

WillieM

Stunt Coordinator
elMalloc:
My seating is about 10ft back

NatL:
The cost for me was $250. This included pre-callibration documentation (current settings), full callibration and full convergence.

Regarding ISF certified techs: Check the ISF website. they have a listing of the certified technicians. Who knows... maybe there is one closer than you think.

NatL

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not sure if Costco offers an extended warranty. I never inquired about one when I purchased my TV.
I just called Costco and they said they essentially have a lifetime warranty on the set. That doesn't quite seem right, but that's what he said. I asked, "If that means if it breaks in 2 years am I covered," he said yes. I asked, "Even RPTV's? he said yes."

I can't find any terms about this on-line - like will they pay for the repair or what have you.

This sure throws a monkey wrench in my shopping plans. Unfortunately they offer no payment plans. So I could not buy a set from them now if I wanted it. But to buy the 50H12 from them would save $500 over Best Buy (with $300 4 year warranty).

But then Best Buy has 24 month payment plan. (And a clearly defined warranty, for what it's worth?).

N

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks