New 50H82 questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom Milner, Oct 7, 2002.

1. Tom Milner

Tom Milner Auditioning

Just received my first RPTV, a Toshiba 50H82. Since my previous main TV was a 27" Misubishi, this one is quite overwhelming in it's detail and size. But after having sunk $2000 into this, I'm looking carefully at it for any problems before the 14 day return to BB is over.

I noticed a slight shadow on the right top, side and bottom corners (almost a graying). This is primarily noticeable on extremely white or light color backgrounds (such as the clouds on the opening of Sound of Music; on very dark or black scenes it appears slightly reddish);on regular scenes, it is not noticeable. Is this normal on RPTVs or this Toshiba?

I have also noticed the hiss when the volume level is low. Not sure if this is an issue for me yet or not.

And working with the screen glare has been a new problem for me. Does the Toshiba have more reflection than say Mitsubishi or Hitachi?

I have Avia on order and should receive it later this week. Hope to set it up properly this weekend.

I have been using the Automatic Light Sensor, and have noticed that it adjusted the contrast to approx 35% on most of my viewing. Think it will be OK to leave it on this?

Overall, I love the TV, but am concerned most about if I should exchange it for another one if the shadow problem is abnormal.

Thanks

2. Tom Milner

Tom Milner Auditioning

Just read the message from Dean Demass further down the list and his problem with red tinge on the right side of the screen sounds very similar to mine. On the right side of my screen sits my receiver and DVD player (at this point on a small table). Could these be causing some electrical interference causing this clouding I describe above?

3. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Personally, I'd turn the ALS off and set brightness, contrast and color according to AVIA. Also, when you do the calibrating with AVIA, make your adjustments from the "Theater" menu; this turns off SVM, and it stays off as the set takes you to your "Preference" menu.

The hiss is a problem that Toshiba should fix.

The glare screen is removeable, but I'm sure that will void your warranty.

Don't know about the shadows. I have a 42" Toshiba RPTV and haven't noticed it. I have noticed the red-tinge shift toward the right, which can also be tweaked away but only by someone who knows what he's doing. It involves masking or "striping" the red CRT.

Jan

4. Steve Krasnow

Steve Krasnow Auditioning

Tom
    My red problem was on the right side of the screen and all my components are on the left?
    I read somewhere that the red CRT is on the right side of the TV. This sometimes can produce a red tinge on that side. There must be an adjustment for this? Have someone look at the set.....or you can go crazy like me!
    [​IMG]

5. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

Jan,

So you were able to get rid of the red tint on the right side of your set?

All of my components sit to the left of the set. The only thing to the right is my Klipsch RF-3 and my SVS 20-39cs.

-Dean-

6. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Here's a link about colorstriping. I haven't done it and am still a bit unclear on the concept. The photo is of a Sony, so it isn't just Toshiba that's affected by color shift. And yes, it has to do with the red projection lens being closer to the right, the blue lens closer to the left.
    Link
    Jan

7. Craig

Craig Second Unit

My Tosh widescreen is 3 years old, so my comments may not apply.

What tempature setting are you using? My Tosh has too much of a red tint on the Warm setting. Toshiba has always maintained that Warm is closest to the 6500K standard, but I know that a couple of years ago one of the A/V mags tested a Tosh and noted that the Medium setting was actually more accurate. Again this may have been corrected by Toshiba by now.

I noticed the red tint on the right side of the screen and was able to get rid of almost all of it by going to the Medium setting. If you're using the Warm setting you might try this and see what results you get.

8. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

I am using the medium setting. I tried going to the cool setting, and the tint was still there.

-Dean-