New 5.1 speakers, surrounds don't work

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Tim Kline, Aug 17, 2003.

1. Tim Kline

Tim Kline Stunt Coordinator

I just got creative inspire 5.1 5200 surround speakers. I'm not getting any audio out of the rear speakers, and i know they're connected right. The sub, left, right and center are all working fine.

I'm using my PC's built in sound (no sound card, but this is a brand new high tech motherboard (ABit NF7) with everything installed). The audio hardware it has is Nvidia nForce with the latest drivers (just downloaded em, didn't help)

The cables are all color coded, and plugged into the correct places on the sub and the back of my PC.

When I go to my audio options and go to speaker setup and do the sound test, it works in all the speakers but the surround ones. I only have "Dolby Surround" and "Dobly Digital" selected. Other options are create center channel, center channel 3D pan, Create LFE channel and rear speaker phase shift... none of those options do anything. But, when I uncheck dolby surround and do the sound test, left and right work, center comes from the rear left, and right surround comes out of the sub woofer.

So, something is freaky. Anyone have any idea how I can get this to work?

2. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Tim,

What is your system? Did you set the speaker configuration settings in the Control Panel?

(For Win-XP): Control Panel/Sounds, Speech and Audio Devices/Sounds and Audio Devices/Volume/Advanced -> [ Choose the proper configuration ].

Hope this helps.

Cees

3. Tim Kline

Yeah I set it to 5.1 speakers and on my nForce options it's 6 speakers (there's no 5.1, but the diagram shows a 5.1 setup)

it's a PC I built myself. Anthlon XP with 1.8 ghz, 1 gig of ram and the motherboard is an Abit NF7-S. It's got the ethernet built in and all the sound stuff too, it's got the 3 sound ports for 5.1 speakers, plus the mic port and the line in port, and also a port for an optical cable. I tried plugging my PC into my receiver with my DVD's optical cable once, and couldn't get that to work either...

4. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

If you have it hooked up via analog, there's no point in checking dolby digital encoding.

I have a similar setup, although I actually don't have any speakers hooked up right now, I'm just using an old yamaha receiver and some headphones. But I'm using coax digital and it works fine.

5. Tim Kline

I was able to get it working! I fiddled with some settings and I found an option to connect one set of speakers to the mic port and the other to the line in port, i think the setting was under advanced in the regular volume control window.. then i unchecked dolby surround, and it works now [​IMG] pretty strange way of getting it to work but what the heck.

i wanted to just use a reciever and my optical port, but i just couldn't get that to work at all [​IMG]