New 46" HDTV model from Panasonic (?)for around 2K?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JeffreyC, Feb 21, 2001.

1. JeffreyC

JeffreyC Auditioning

I've seen postings on a few boards regarding a new model that is supposed to be coming out in March from Panasonic(?)that is supposed to have a MSRP of about $2000.
    Does anyone know the model number or correct manufacturer? ( I checked the Panasonic site and could not find anything about an new models except a 55”.) I'd like to research this model as I hope to but a HDTV in March.
    Thanks,
    Jeff

2. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

I've not heard anything on this model, but if there's no info anywhere on it, it probably won't be available before October or so. You usually see lots of hype long before you can actually touch new sets.
    ------------------
    http://content.communities.msn.com/i...&ID_Message=40
    I prefer to listen to my music in its Original Aspect Ratio: Stereo.

3. Luis_S

Luis_S Auditioning

4. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

According to Panasonic's press release, it's due in May. It says the price is 'targetted' at $2,000, so don't be surprised if they miss the target somewhat!

5. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

6. JeffreyC

JeffreyC Auditioning

from the above etown article
    "Panasonic breaks $2000 price barrier
    Panasonic broke the price barrier in rear-projection HDTVs with its new PT-47WX49, a 47-inch 16:9 rear-projection HDTV monitor that carries an unbelievable list price of just $2000.
    The set, which will natively display only 480p and 1080i, sports dual-tuner, split-screen PIP (picture-in-picture); a new 9-point user convergence system; BBE sound with 15 watts per channel of audio power; and a new backlit remote control.
    The PT-47WX49 has a bigger brother: the PT-56WX51 has all its sibling's features, plus a larger, 56-inch screen and a list price of $3500. Both models are scheduled for delivery to dealers in July.
    Since the inception of HDTV more than two years ago, Panasonic has led the industry with the only consumer RPTVs that could natively display 720p HDTV signals.
    Unfortunately, none of the new Panasonic RPTV HDTV monitors will display 720p signals natively. In attempt to bring prices down -- and because 720p broadcast support is so meager -- Panasonic opted to take out the higher horizontal scanning rate necessary to accommodate 720p."
    Hmmmm How important is the 720P? Is that the OTA HDTV broadcast material or from satallite too?