New 3802 owners

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Co, Jul 18, 2002.

1. Jason Co

Jason Co Second Unit

I know there are a bunch of people who bought a Denon 3802 from 6ave. I will pick mine up today from UPS. If any of you have time to respond to this thread I think it will be a great help to all of us that made the move to the 3802.

1. A little feedback. What speakers are you running off of it? How do you like the performance of the 3802.

2. Could you give the rest of us any setup tips, shortcuts, and/or tweaks that would be beneficial to the rest of us.

3. Crossover frequencies, component switching, any directions that you may have questioned when you first set it up and what you found to be best for your setup.

4. Lastly, one or two little tidbits you wish you had known when you originally hooked it up.

This is the first "higher end" receiver I have owned and I would like to be well prepared when I take this sucker out of the box.

I guess I will start. I will have y 3802 running
    Axiom m50 towers
    Axiom vp150 center
    Axiom Qs4 surrounds
    Panny 5 disk dvd/mp3 player
    JVC vcr
    Sony 32" WEGA (with component video from my dvd player)

Us noooobs appreciate any info from the more experienced.

J

2. AustinKW

AustinKW Stunt Coordinator

Hi Jason,

I think you'll like the 3802 - nice unit.

No tricks to setup. Just be careful that you correctly wire your speakers. Make sure you get polarity correct and watch out for shorts. An SPL meter is definitely in order. The Radio Shack analog is adequate. Look up the correction chart for it - it's all over the web.

Don't bother with component video switching - the 3802 can only support 480i (4802-480p, 5803-1080i).

Ooops, one trick. To get the on-screen display to your TV, you need to connect either composite or S-video from the Monitor Out on the 3802 to one of your inputs (ie. Input 3) on your TV. Then, when you wish to do setup changes, switch your TV to Input 3 and punch the 3802's "Setup" button on the remote. Should be good to go.

Set all your speaks to SMALL and use the standard 80Hz crossover. Set your speak distances. Then get out your SPL meter and level all your channels to 75db. You're all set. From then on, it's play around with the different surround modes and tailoring parameters. I would suggest optical hookups wherever possible. DVD to 3802, CD to 3802, etc. There is one digital coax connector as well.

Keep your eyes peeled for a nice 2 channel outboard amp. Audiogon's a good source. When you find one, snap it up and use it to drive your mains. You'll get great sound in 2-ch and will also improve multi-channel since the 3802 won't have to drive your mains. You could even go with a 5-channel amp and use the 3802 solely as a pre/pro. Good luck.

Austin

3. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Supporting Actor

1. I'm using the Energy Veritas 2.4's (fronts) 2.0c (center) 2.0r (surrounds) Encores 2 (rears)and a e:xl-s12 subwoofer. All of the Veritas are pushed by a Parasound 1205 amp so the Denon does very little work.
    2. Setup is very simple. Don't forget correctly setup your digitals and coaxials to the right inputs for your dvd, hdstb and cd etc.
    3. I have my fronts set to small and the crossover set at 80. The receiver does all of my component switching since I have a progressive scan dvd palyer and a hdstb. A tivo and a vcr also goes through the receiver.
    4. If you don't have a pronto get one! With my pronto i can automatically change the video output on my tv when a component is selected. One thing that the Denon remote cannot do is change the video select but my pronto is programmed so I can select the video source on the receiver with it. The monitor out should also be used.
    Have fun[​IMG]

4. AustinKW

Michael,

You may wish to check PQ on 3802 video switching versus direct connect. 3802 is only 27Mhz on the component video which is solid for SDTV (480i) but marginal for DVD (480p) and totally inadequate for HD (1080i). The 4802 is 50Mhz and the 5803 is 100Mhz. On HD especially, you'll probably see a bit softer (less detailed) picture when switched through the 3802. FYI.

Austin

5. peter a

peter a Stunt Coordinator

i haven't done any of the tweaking with the 3802 as i'm still waiting for my axioms to arrive (actually... i should place that order soon...)- but, one thing i read in another thread which is VERY helpful... is to send the monitor output from the 3802 to the tv, such that you can view your settings in picture in picture... that way you can just have it pop up without switching inputs on the tv so often- good luck.
    peter

6. peter a

austin-
    really quickly... why would you want an amp with a receiver this powerful? i don't quite grasp the benefits... please explain-
    p

7. AustinKW

Hi Peter,

How exactly do you direct the Monitor Out on the 3802 so it shows up in the TV's PIP? My understanding of PIP is that it allows the second TV tuner to display a different channel (not source) than the primary tuner. I'm not aware of ANY way to direct an external source into a TV's PIP. Would be nice if possible, though.

Austin

8. Jason Co

Jason Co Second Unit

I think the post he was referring to was addressing the issue of still being able to watch the tv while you were doing the onscreen display. What I got from the post was if you were on say input 2 for your onscreen display you could still watch the tv in picture and picture. I don't think it's possible to set your onscreen to the actual PIP itself.

J

p.s. I just looked at the post a little while ago.

9. Jason Co

Jason Co Second Unit

picture in picture....cuz picture and picture makes no sense [​IMG]

10. AustinKW

Peter,

The actual power of mid-fi receivers is not quite what is specced. The real deal is watts delivered with all channels driven. When these test results are obtained and published, you'll see that the specified 110W or whatever drops down significantly like to 60W or 70W - I forget the exact numbers for the 3802. Only the flagships really hold spec.

The big knock on receivers has always been their amplifier sections. Specifically the shared power supply and capacitors are easily overburdened when asked to drive 5 or 7 or even 9 speakers at reference volume. The addition of an external amp relieves the receiver of having to drive the toughest load - the left and right mains. For HT, the surrounds are not usually doing a whole lot (tire screeches, gunshots, ambient noise) so offloading the mains allows the receiver to "concentrate" its limited power on these channels with good results. For multi-channel music, the surrounds are a bit more involved and the offloading will have even greater benefits. The overall better amplification of an external unit will be immediately heard in 2-channel stereo applications. And finally, since external amps are a prerequisite for separates, buying one to give a little ooomph to your receiver also benefits you in the future when (or if) you make the move to separates. Good luck.

Austin

11. AustinKW

Thanks, Jason. I'll have to find the post. I wasn't aware that I could even crank up PIP when I'm sourced on one of the TV's external inputs. I guess it RTFM time!

Austin

12. Jason Co

Jason Co Second Unit

13. peter a

sorry if i was mistaken- i was under the impression that you could have a PIP be a the tuner... but, maybe not- i'll have to check it out with my tv when i go home.
    p

14. Adam_R

Adam_R Second Unit

You can most certainly have the 3802 setup be the PIP if you plug the reciever into "Video1" and whatever else into other video in ports. It kind of defeats the purpose of having video i/o on your reciever!

BTW - I have a 3802, and I love it. Setting up is really not tricky at all, as others have said. I too have all speakers set to "small" and my sub xover at 80Hz. Here's what I have and it sounds SWEET!

Denon 3802
    Pinnacle PN6+ Fronts
    Pinnacle AC Widescreen Center
    Pinnacle AC500 Surorunds
    SVS 20-39PCi Sub

Keep in mind that the 3802 IS powerful, and I (and most sane people I know) don't listen to everything at reference levels all the time. (I'm not trying to start any fights with the "loud" crowd!) I may be the odd man out, but I think that the human ear can enjoy movies and music at more reasonable volumes. The amount of clarity and definition I have gotten out of this mid-fi equipment is astonishing. Good luck with it.

15. AustinKW

Hey Adam,

Looks like 3802 setup and PIP just might be doable on my Pio533. The TV won't do PIP with 480p (Prog DVD on INPUT1) or 1080i (HD STB on INPUT2) but 480i on INPUT3 looks like a candidate. I'll give it a shot when I get home. Thanks.

Austin

16. ben hunt

ben hunt Stunt Coordinator

Right now I only have the L&R mains and no other speakers.

I'm pretty happy with the Axiom M60s...they sound great. I haven't done any calibrating really since it's in the infancy stages.

I plan on getting some rears and a center then a sub. I also need a rack for it all and I've got to go pick up a tv from my mother in law sometimes soon as well as put a couple carpets down etc. So as you can see, I need to do a lot before I get to calibrating...

17. peter a

ben-
    where are you considering getting a rack... what about a DIY??? has anyone made their own racks???
    p

18. Louis C

Louis C Supporting Actor

What a great thread!

Austin, I thought the 3802 had separate amps for each channel - did I miss something?

Your advice on component switching I appreciate. As a newbie, I had planned to use component switching...now it looks like I should follow Michael's advice of using a remote with macro capability (Pronto) and route all component video directly to display.

Michael, is Pronto difficult to configure?

19. Tommy_N

Tommy_N Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone have anything bad to say about the 3802. I think I'm going to order one this weekend. I was thinking of waiting for the 3803, but the price of the 3802 is really attractive.

Couple of questions. Presently I have an Denon AVR 1200.

I assume the receiver has to be on to do video switching, but if I want to listen to the TV speakers (ie when I'm watching news I don't need 5.1) is that possible? if so does the receiver need to be on?

Or would it just be easier to do the video switching with my TV and send an output to the receiver? I think that would make the most sense, especially since I have enough inputs on my TV.

How much noise/ is there? (I know its rated for 8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz,

20. itai

itai Stunt Coordinator

My 3802 is driving paradigm 60's, cc and adp's, it's effortless, LOUD, and clean. Denon got me for life!...well, until the next upgrade anyway!...
    the separate amp route is tempting, but as long as i live in an apartment, i dont see it coming. -10 sounds great, but my neighubors should have their lives also, so...
    [​IMG]