New 32" TV

Discussion in 'Displays' started by James Miranda, Feb 17, 2004.

1. James Miranda

James Miranda Auditioning

I am looking to purchase a new 32" TV.

I am a brand loyal RCA follower and I was set on buying the RCA 32V530T Flat Screen. The store I went to pick it up in was sold out, but I got a caveat from the salesperson about quality issues with RCA which I have heard before, but I have had almost no problems with my RCA/Proscan products.

I now have 3 choices of 32" Flat Screens: the Phillips 32PT663F for $737.00, Sony Wega KV32FS100 for $948 and the JVC AV32FA44 for the $948.00 all in Canadian dollars.

I was leaning towards the JVC, but is it really worth the extra $200? I am not really interested in a 200 lb 32" TV (read Sony). Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. Topher

Topher Stunt Coordinator

If those are your only 3 choices then I would go with the cheapest one that has a 16:9 mode. I know the Sony does, because I have the 27inch model. If possible, you might be able to find HD monitors for a decent price in the 32inch size. Samsung makes a few excellent models. Panasonic has a 32 inch flat screen that falls in your price range with 16:9 mode and they are VERY nice tv's.

3. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

I really don't understand the prices on the sets? Because in the USA the Sony goes for around $ 650 & the JVC can be had for under $500 Also this week at CompUSA Stores they have the JVC 32" AV-32FA54 with P-I-P for $499.99 I would fight on that JVC price because it seems way out of line compared to our JVC prices. As for which set to get I would go with the JVC if it can be had for a lot cheaper than the Sony & if not then get the Sony & the JVC does have the 16:9 DVD mode.

4. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

Well, Canadian prices are usually higher for electronics - even after $ conversion.

As for that Sony model, it's been out for a while - although (correct me if I'm wrong) I believe Sony is done w/ Direct View SD sets or they might produce 1 more revision for their SD sets so in either case, that price is likely to drop.

From personal experience, I would shop based on video noise produced from those sets as that's the most annoying aspect of any 27+" sized direct view set.

5. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

I know your prices are higher but I would think the difference in price between the brands would be the same?
    USA Sony $650 Your Price $948
    USA JVC $500 Your Price $948 (How come it's not $798?)

6. James Miranda

James Miranda Auditioning

I will definitely try to knock down the price a bit more. It does come down to their wholesale costs and supply and demand though.

Ernest: Video Noise? Could you explain that a bit more? Thanks for all your help!