New 311 album

Discussion in 'Music' started by Craig Dulany, Jul 31, 2003.

1. Craig Dulany

Craig Dulany Extra

Does anyone have any opinions on the new 311 album "Evolver"?

2. Matty P

Matty P Stunt Coordinator

pretty decent, I enjoyed the first single when I heard it on the radio...my favorite track on Evolver is "Still Dreaming"...this is the first 311 album I've gotten since the self titled disc so I can't really compare it to their newer stuff

3. Craig Dulany

Craig Dulany Extra

I like the new single (Creatures for a while) quite a bit, it grows on you after a few listens. The songs that really hit me though are 'Beyond the Gray Sky' and 'Jacks Rule the Realm' these are very different from their radio friendly songs, very mellow and meaningful! 'Jacks' is my favorite so far, it has a very weird familiar feeling to it, kind of like a mix of Pink Floyd, The Eagles and some Neil Young mixed in. That is a mighty strange combo, but check it out if you get a chance. [​IMG]

4. Shane D

Shane D Supporting Actor

Oops, double post

5. Shane D

Shane D Supporting Actor

Beyond the gray sky and jacks are the ones i thought were the worst. I thought hexum got to indulge a little too much on those since he was words and music credit on those.

The album is different than older stuff, I was expecting some more like music or grassroots after hearing stuff they were saying about the album on thier website. But over all, I like the cd. Creatures is a old school 311 style song, so I like that, and my other faves right now are Give mea call and don't dwell.

And if you like 311, you need to give The 2 Skinnee J's a try, they are great too.

6. Jon_Welker

Jon_Welker Second Unit

I haven't really sat down and listened to the new 311 cd since picking it up last week, but it sounds like somewhat of an attempt to return to their first albums up until their self-titled. Creatures definitely had me thinking old school, but they are not quite back there yet. It is better than the last few they released IMHO.

Yes, definitely check out 2 Skinne J's, these guys are great. I've seen them live a few times and have their CD's. Definitely worth a listen.

7. Shane D

Shane D Supporting Actor

Yeah, I got to see the 2 Skinnee J's like 3 times. Its too bad they called it quits this summer. They were one of the few bands that really put out good music.