1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

New 27" TV Pan/JVC/Samsung/Other

Discussion in 'Displays' started by DeanKal, Jul 19, 2004.

1. DeanKal

DeanKal Auditioning

So I'm trying to help my brother select a TV and we've trying to choose between a couple of models.

Price wise we're aiming for $400-450 Canadian.

We've narrowed it(if you can call it that) between

JVC AV-27F475 27"
    Panasonic CT27SL14 27"
    Samsung TX-P2734 27"
    Toshiba 27AF44 27"

There are also the Sharps, Philips, RCA, and Sony available to us.

Anyone better than the other, or are we just taking the first to go on sale?

2. StephenHa

StephenHa Second Unit

the jvc and panasonic are basically the same set, both are very nice and have a good warranty, the toshiba is about the same as the jvc and panasonic but usually costs a bit more

3. DeanKal

DeanKal Auditioning

I didn't think there was a big difference between those brands.

As an aside, What's the consensus on Samsung. I was told they have improved. Are they as good as the other brands or do they still have a ways to go?

Thanks for the replys.

4. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Myself I would go with the JVC or Toshiba because they have the 16:9 DVD Mode & the Panasonic doesn't. Plus I think the Samsung's are a notch below your picks but it's getting hard to tell because it's not so much that on the analog sets that Samsung is getting better it's that as JVC, Panasonic & Toshiba are lowering their prices they are also lowering their build quality. I would look for the features you like best on the JVC, Panasonic or Toshiba. Like the Toshiba has Video Outputs, the Panasonic has Fixed & Variable Audio Outputs, & which sets Sound Quality sounds the best to you if your not going to be hooking the set to a receiver. I don't know about Canada but here in the States you can usually get the JVC or Panasonic a little cheaper than the Toshiba. Check the Specs. & Features on all the sets & go with the one you like best & of course Happy Hunting [​IMG]

5. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Samsung's overall quality has improved. In more areas than t.v. I'm with Bill though, go with the Toshiba or JVC.

6. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

Even on a 27" screen, get one that can do the 16:9 squeeze. You'd be amazed at the difference when comparing a anamorphic disc playing on a TV that doesn't adjust for anamorphic DVDs and one that does. That 33% extra resolution goes a long way.

7. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Jim, Give the JVC or the Toshiba "Flat Tube" a shot before you give up [​IMG]

8. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Jim, I don't know what stores are near you? but if you could get a Sony from one store & a JVC from another then you could really compare them & keep the one you like best. Maybe it's just me, but on last years Sony's I'd take the JVC over the Sony only because on the Sony sets I saw the tuners wern't nearly as good as the JVC's. Hate to say it but none of the sets are going to perform like a Sony XBR model especially at the prices 27 inch sets are going for now & I think that we would all like them to. Still don't give up & myself I don't think Sony is really all that great in their entry level models & the 90 day warranty really makes me think twice about Sony's entry level models.