What's new

By Innovation Only, iPhone (and more!) event Sept 10 2019 (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Scotch Whiskey tastes of a fantastic, international vacation!

Bourbon Whiskey tastes of Kentucky.

;)

Fundamentally, they’re very similar. But there are subtle and substantial differences in how they’re made. And even within “Scotch Whiskey”, there are tremendous variations in flavor.

Whiskey can be smooth, smokey, peaty, or oily — in broad strokes. Here’s the best way to find out (and how I’m always using my iPhone camera as a personal journal of sorts).
B7419C08-4186-4B28-A371-A4F1FD2E3A16.jpeg B217D223-644D-4A02-9DC1-2592D613F0CB.jpeg

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Scotch Whiskey tastes of a fantastic, international vacation!

Bourbon Whiskey tastes of Kentucky.

;)

Fundamentally, they’re very similar. But there are subtle and substantial differences in how they’re made. And even within “Scotch Whiskey”, there are tremendous variations in flavor.

Whiskey can be smooth, smokey, peaty, or oily — in broad strokes. Here’s the best way to find out (and how I’m always using my iPhone camera as a personal journal of sorts).
View attachment 61974 View attachment 61975
you’ve got a tasting society, I’m jealous. When you say oily, could you also say viscous or thick mouth feel? I like viscous and I like Smokey.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Would you care to elaborate? If I were to do this, I would save money on my monthly bill.

Perhaps you are saying wait for this years phone? The 19’s. I know we’ve discussed waiting for the 20’s but if I save money now, what’s the harm?

There is a guaranteed new phone launch in less than 3 weeks.

There is zero chance your 'deal' will be worse in 3 weeks. It could be significantly better.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I would like to wait/Skip the next iPhone but my iPhone XS has been annoying me for months now.
I got it at launch, about three months in it started randomly dimming to almost a point when I’m outside that I can’t see the screen.
Took it to an Apple store and the alleged genius said nothing was wrong with it.

Wife has the 8+ and we have her mom with an 8+ on out plan too.
Been on ATT for about 5 years.
We also had my brother on the plan until about a year ago.
We are clearly getting pounded by att as we pay about 250 a month for their limited unlimited data.

Do we have a cel phone plan analysis topic on HTF?
Maybe we should.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I would like to wait/Skip the next iPhone but my iPhone XS has been annoying me for months now.
I got it at launch, about three months in it started randomly dimming to almost a point when I’m outside that I can’t see the screen.
Took it to an Apple store and the alleged genius said nothing was wrong with it.

Wife has the 8+ and we have her mom with an 8+ on out plan too.
Been on ATT for about 5 years.
We also had my brother on the plan until about a year ago.
We are clearly getting pounded by att as we pay about 250 a month for their limited unlimited data.

Do we have a cel phone plan analysis topic on HTF?
Maybe we should.
Jeez, even for 3 lines that seems very high. Sprint (and probably others) have contract termination credits to pay for getting out of your current carrier.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
There is a guaranteed new phone launch in less than 3 weeks.

There is zero chance your 'deal' will be worse in 3 weeks. It could be significantly better.
This is stupid, but I had not realized the new phones were so close because it’s do damn hot and September sounds so cool.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Jeez, even for 3 lines that seems very high. Sprint (and probably others) have contract termination credits to pay for getting out of your current carrier.
Aren’t these phones stuck to the carrier you bought to on?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The short answer is no: iphones can be used on different carriers. Got to make sure they’re unlocked, which is pretty standard now from the big carriers. There are details to check on, but especially with LTE phones are increasingly portable.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Even if your phones are locked to AT&T, the contract termination offers from Sprint and others that Johnny is referring to will usually give you a great deal on a new phone. I leveraged part of this when switching from Verizon to Sprint -- my contract was up, but I needed a new phone at that time, as my old one was long in the tooth.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Sprint says they won’t work on their network, they are CDMA and ATT is something else.

Yes. I am very much aware of that issue.

I wanted to switch carriers with my older iPhone and because of the different standards, AT&T is not compatible with Verizon and Sprint is not compatible with one of those two.

I am not sure it is still an issue with last year's phones as I had no issues switching my unlocked phone from AT&T to Verizon.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm thinking about upgrading to an XR. My wife just got one after her iPhone 7 started to develop major connectivity issues. It's nice.

I'm currently using an iPhone 6. Since it is still running like a champ, I normally wouldn't be considering the upgrade. But, apparently in a few months, Apple is going to stop supporting the 6 and the newer iOSs won't be compatible with the 6 and they are offering a $100 credit for those who upgrade from the 6 now.

One of the major selling points for me would be being able to upgrade from 64GB to 256GB in storage.

I love the fancy phone features in the XS, but I'm not seeing where they are enough to pay the difference.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm currently using an iPhone 6. Since it is still running like a champ, I normally wouldn't be considering the upgrade. But, apparently in a few months, Apple is going to stop supporting the 6 and the newer iOSs won't be compatible with the 6 and they are offering a $100 credit for those who upgrade from the 6 now.

One of the major selling points for me would be being able to upgrade from 64GB to 256GB in storage.

I love the fancy phone features in the XS, but I'm not seeing where they are enough to pay the difference.
I wonder if that includes 6s Plus as I was trying to wait until next year before upgrading?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Even if your phones are locked to AT&T, the contract termination offers from Sprint and others that Johnny is referring to will usually give you a great deal on a new phone. I leveraged part of this when switching from Verizon to Sprint -- my contract was up, but I needed a new phone at that time, as my old one was long in the tooth.

Sprint says they won’t work on their network, they are CDMA and ATT is something else.

Yes. I am very much aware of that issue.

I wanted to switch carriers with my older iPhone and because of the different standards, AT&T is not compatible with Verizon and Sprint is not compatible with one of those two.

I am not sure it is still an issue with last year's phones as I had no issues switching my unlocked phone from AT&T to Verizon.

The short if it is, Verizon iPhones work everywhere, ATT work on GSM only.
https://9to5mac.com/2017/10/26/iphone-x-carrier-compatibilitiy/

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm thinking about upgrading to an XR
Wait a month.

Two years ago we bought from Target. We got $15/mo rebate for each of our iPhones we bought $30/mo total incentive) for two years.

There’s always a new phone deal. Your iPhone will not stop working on September 10. I really don’t recommend fear-rushing into buying a year old model iPhone three weeks before the new ones are announced.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks