New 2005 releases already abandoned?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Jon_Gu, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Jon_Gu

Jon_Gu Stunt Coordinator

Series that have not seen a release in over 6 months that were released in 2005...and no news of further release dates:

The Commish -
    S1 Release 11/16/04
    S2 Release 02/22/05

Kojak -
    S1 Release 03/22/05

McCloud -
    S1 Release 05/09/05

McMillan & Wife -
    S1 Release 05/09/05

Murphy Brown -
    S1 Release 02/08/05

Night Court - Best of's don't count
    S1 Release 02/08/05

Quincy - (only 6 months, but no news)
    S1 Release 06/07/05

Spenser for Hire - They've taunted us with the movies, where are the seasons?
    Movies Released 06/28/05

2. andyEckles

andyEckles Agent

How about:

Dynasty
    S1 Release 04/19/05

Fox claims they have no plans to release further seasons! Huge mistake!

3. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    I think Fox made a gigantic blunder by releasing season one alone. Had they released season two (which introduces Joan Collins as Alexis) at the same time, they could have more accurately gauged the sales strength of Dynasty on DVD. IMO, casual fans (myself included) would be more likely to buy a set knowing that it prominently features Alexis. Completests will want the first season (and others may go back and buy it after purchasing season two), but I think they are the minority and most folks would be very comfortable starting their collection with season two.

4. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

For Dynasty, I read on another post that there were other factors involved-nothing to do with sales--that precludes them from releasing season two at this time. Naturally, the poster of that bit of info didn't bother to cite sources, so who really knows. I am completely behind the release of more Dynasty; there may be some rights issues involved, we'll see.

5. Jon_Gu

Jon_Gu Stunt Coordinator

Apparently NewsRadio can be removed from the list.

Adam-12 and Dragnet '68 may be in question now. Emergency S2 has been announced, nothing on these other Jack Webb shows.

6. JeffT.

JeffT. Screenwriter

My own 2 cents worth (this is a comment strictly on the titles listed) I (personally) wouldn't buy any of them...and it seems that that the paying public out there is in complete agreement on this!

This is (yet) another example of the hairbrained thinking on the part of these major distribution companies who (honestly) believe that the (average) consumer will buy most anything they put out on the market...HA!

Why, oh why do they always release all the boring stuff that nobody really cares about anymore?! I mean really!

This is the precisely the kind of absurd reasoning and poor judgement that is holding a DVD release of THE INVADERS (ABC 1967-68) back for Pete's sake.

Most of those titles listed are Universal releases and we're all (painfully) aware (by now) about the quality (actually lack of quality) of their (notorious) micro-compressed 3 disk sets which may have something to do with the poor sales.

The way that 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment has been procrastinating about the impending VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA - FIRST SEASON, VOLUME ONE 4-disc box set (without having revealed the intended packaging design or any detailed specifics of the actual content beyond the episode themselves) I have to start wondering whether it will indeed be coming in out February 2006 as announced.

I'd like to think that (apparent) delay is due to Fox trying to come up with a much more effective box artwork than was done for THE TIME TUNNEL (ABC 1966-67).

Surprise (and shock me) me on this...please!

Jeff T.

7. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

Regarding Dynasty.

Sometimes people write into the studio asking about future releases and the studio says "we have no plans at this time." This just means that it's not currently on the schedule, not that they're done working on it.

I believe tvshowsondvd.com did a write-up about people freaking out about a studio abandoning a show... and it just wasn't on their schedule for the upcoming months. It's like e-mailing FOX to ask about Seasons 10-17 of The Simpsons. They'd say something similar to "we have no plans at this time..."

Of course they have plans, but there are factors that get in the way of revealing lots of details.

Dynasty season 2+ will probably be coming, just not as soon as we all hope. [​IMG]

8. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I have little hope for Night Court, considering how the studio is approaching that, but I still believe that the rest of McMillan & Wife will probably get released.

9. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Jeff,

You might have no interest in shows like Night Court, Murphy Brown, etc., but if you honestly believe that The Invaders would sell more units than these other shows, I think you're deluding yourself. The Invaders might be a better show than those, and it might get your money, but that doesn't mean it would sell better. I strongly suspect that the vast majority of the dvd buying public (including people in their 40s, like myself) have, like me, never even heard of the Invaders. I may have no interest in Spenser for Hire, Quincy, Kojak, etc., but at least I've heard of them. I have no interest in Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Flipper, The Time Tunnel, Mayberry RFD, My Favorite Martian, F Troop, Family Affair, Gentle Ben, Mannix, or Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom, but at least I've heard of all those shows. I think The Invaders is just far more obscure than you could imagine, and while I hope for your sake that it gets released, arguing for it by citing bad sales and lack of interest in shows like Dynasty and the Commish (two other shows I have no interest in), isn't a very convincing argument.

Absurd reasoning and poor judgment, indeed. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey

Same thing is going to happen with Melrose Place and possibly Knot's Landing. They didnt get good until they added the bitches! Amanda on Melrose and Abby on Knot's.
    Hey, they all start with "A." Never noticed that before.

11. peggy

peggy Stunt Coordinator

I think it is a matter of opinion on what a person finds boring. Personally I really like Kojak and would love to get the second season which I have been wondering about however most of those shows listed which are sci-fi hold no interest for me at all.

12. Jon_Gu

Jon_Gu Stunt Coordinator

Jeff,

I hope you'll see the shows you listed coming out this year, but The Invaders (2 seasons/43 episodes) isn't exactly what I'd call a mainstream cult classic either. I'd never heard of it until I saw your signature line for the first time.

I must confess I don't understand why you'd think relatively obscure shows from the 60's would be such better sales performers. I'm probably older than the target demographic audience and I sure don't remember first run shows of the 60's...even being born in the late 60's doesn't mean I was an avid fan of anything except Sesame Street until the early-mid 70's. [​IMG]

I enjoy watching the older shows, B&W and first generation color shows, but it isn't what I and alot of others that buy TVonDVD grew up with and what we remember anxiously awaiting the new episode week to week or the new season to begin as we went back to school every fall.

Commish - 5 Seasons/94 episodes

Kojak - 5 Seasons/118 episodes and 7 followup movies

McCloud - 7 Seasons/47 episodes and 1 movie, most episodes are 90 minutes or 2hrs.

McMillan & Wife - 6 Seasons/40 episodes, all are 90 minutes or 2 hours.

Murphy Brown - 10 Seasons/247 episodes (even Friends didn't last as many episodes...)

Night Court - 9 Seasons/193 episodes

Quincy - 8 seasons/148 episodes

13. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

Ok, let me wish EVERYONE at HTF that Santa will bring a release of whatever they're wanting. [​IMG] How about that?

I too would like the Invaders on DVD but I realize that we all have our favorites that we'd like to see out on DVD.

We have a diverse and interesting member mix at HTF so let's remember that we all may not prefer the same series' on DVD.

I'd be surprised if more of Dynasty wasn't released considering the popularity it enjoyed in the 80's. One thing I've learned since I started collecting TV/DVD's: "There's no way to predict this business" (when/if a particular Mfgr will release something on TV/DVD).

14. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

The sudios just might as well shoot themselves in their feet (foot) if they keep this up.

If I go shopping and see season 1 of a good show, I am going to expect to see season 2 on the shelves several months later. What I don't want is to get season 1 and then nothing else!

What I think is going to happen with this is that 1st season sets are not going to sell as well as they are now - as soon as people realize that buying season 1 will be no guarantee for the realese of season 2.

I have cut way back on my TV on DVD buying. I just don't want any more partial series sets.

Glenn

15. Josh_HI

Josh_HI Second Unit

What about Joan of Arcadia and Clarissa Explains it all?

Both were released in May. I really hope Clarissa gets more releases. I just got the first season price matched for $17.88 at Best Buy and would like to get others that come out.Hopefully after Pete & Pete they will make more for Clarissa.[​IMG] I don't really have hope for Joan. They only need 1 more release but I don't see it coming.[​IMG]

16. RogerH

RogerH Supporting Actor

Airwolf Season 1 was released in May 2005 and still no word on if or when a season 2 will be released [​IMG]

17. Brent_B

Brent_B Agent

You can add 227 to the list as well.
    Release Date: September 28, 2004. No word on season 2. [​IMG]

18. Mike*SC

Mike*SC Second Unit

Are you suggesting that studios must keep releasing season after season of shows that the public has shown little interest in, bleeding more and more money each time? Talk about shooting one's self in the foot...

19. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

I have three words for you: Mary Tyler Moore

I have three more words for you: Once And Again

20. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Yeah but for the few series that sell when they're given a second chance, I imagine that there are many more abandoned series that will never sell in great numbers. It sucks for the fans of those shows but I can see why a studio isn't putting money into something where they lose or make very little profit.