New 2004 LCD Sony TVs

Discussion in 'Displays' started by KyleC, Mar 5, 2004.

1. KyleC

KyleC Supporting Actor

2. Danny Beck

Danny Beck Stunt Coordinator

The only difference seems to be the tuner. Not really a concern at all if you get HD cable or HD satelite service.

3. KyleC

KyleC Supporting Actor

Also replaces DVI with HDMI. It also goes to a darker grey style, which I like better than the silver.

High-Definition Multimedia Interface. USB-like digital video connectivity standard designed as a successor to DVI; can transmit both uncompressed digital audio and video signals; protected by HDCP digital copy protection

4. Danny Beck

Well, let me ask you this. How often would you use your HDMI input and actually use the tv speakers for sound? My guess is, not very often. Most people are using a surround system with it's own audio. So, HDMI is rather pointless in my opinion. DVI does the video and I use an optical for the sound. HDMI means nothing if you use that scenario.

I'm not one of those people who waits 6 months for a tv that has a couple small features added over last years model.

dan

5. KyleC

KyleC Supporting Actor

HDMI is replacing DVI. There will not be a DVI port on future TVs.

6. Danny Beck

I'm aware of that. My point is, how valuable is HDMI over DVI? All it's adding is audio and very few of us will ever use the audio from that HDMI cable. So, I find it to be a mostly pointless feature.

dan

7. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

The possibility exists that devices (DVD players, etc) will only have a HDMI connection and no DVI connection. Thus, you will require a converter if you have no HDMI connection on the TV. For those truly anal people, that step may be unacceptable.

8. Joe Schwartz

Joe Schwartz Second Unit

HDMI also provides support for control information to be sent between devices (Consumer Electronics Control protocol). For instance, an HDMI-capable receiver could tell the TV to use a particular video input, or the TV could tell the receiver to use a particular audio input.