New 2 SACD 50s pop music compilation features Elvis

Discussion in 'Music' started by Danny Tse, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

2. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Screenwriter

Chris Gerhard
    Do you have any idea how this SACD was made? Just an unauthorized copy of songs from CD's and LP's with no access to the master tapes? It is an interesting compilation of songs, but the origin is questionable. I know the European laws are different in this regard. My RCA DVD-A compilation of Elvis songs is of course made by the right people with access to the best source material, and it is worse than my CD compilations of Elvis. So there is no guarantee having the right companies make the disc will result in high quality, but the chances this will be any good is probably slim.

Chris

3. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I couldn't resist and placed order for this SACD compilation. I will update this thread once I have a chance to sample the discs.

I, too, have the Elvis DVD-A but never had the chance to hear it in hi-rez. Maybe a new universal player??

4. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Screenwriter

Chris Gerhard
    The compilation only includes 2 songs by Elvis unless I am missing something, but does include a lot of 50's songs with various original rights owners which makes it less likely original master tapes or other high quality source was used.

Chris

5. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I received this compilation in the mail yesterday. The SACDs are housed in a gatefold digipak with a nicely printed booklet, which contained no techical information. The SACDs themselves were pressed by Sonopress. Haven't really had a chance to do some serious listening but I did get a chance to compare the track "Rags To Riches" by Tony Bennett to the one on the Sony single-layer SACD "The Ultimate Tony Bennett". The version of the 50s compilation SACD sounds just a tiny bit veiled in a direct A/B comparison, but the track wasn't particularly well-recorded anyway. Maybe I will compare the Elvis tracks to my DCC "Elvis 24 Karat Hits" CD tonight.

I didn't expect audiophile sound quality from this compilation. For the price, it's a pretty good compilation of 50s hits. And it's certainly a SACD novelty.