New $18,000 home theater system

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TylerL, Dec 23, 2001.

1. TylerL

TylerL Extra

Hey im looking at this set up. All of the components are from Pioneer Elite.

TV= Pioneer Elite PRO-720HD 65 inch

DVD= Pioneer Elite DV-38A

CD= Pioneer Elite PD-F27 301 CD changer

Reciever= Pioneer Elite VSX-49TX

i am assuming that i can get a 6.1 set-up with this receiver

Speakers=

Right,Left,Rear Right, Rear Left, Rear Central = Pioneer Elite TZ-MS09

Central= Pioneer Elite TZ-MC09

Sub= Pioneer Elite TZ-SW05

This is what i am hoping to buy for my downstairs Den. Should be a really good system.

Anyone have any components that might be better than those listed here? Otherwise this looks good to me!

2. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i didnt know Pioneer made speakers...but if you like them then thats all that matters. only thing i can say is to make sure you listen to as many different brands as possible (all components) and choose the ones that sound best to you. (this especially relates to speakers!) listen to as many as you can and do what your ears tell you!
    [edit] some brands to listen to: Paradigm Studio, B&W 800 series, Def Tech, and MK. i personally think you should at least consider an SVS sub over the Pioneer (maybe an CS-Ultra + Samson?). i think the SVS would outperform most subs within $1000 of its price, although i havent heard the Pioneer sub. i just dont consider Pioneer Elite a speaker company, but since i have not heard the speakers, my argument is almost pointless. [​IMG]

3. Darryl_B

Darryl_B Stunt Coordinator

I agree with Tyler. From my experience, I've usually discovered large mass manufacturers don't make the best speakers.
    In addition, unless you absolutely have to have everything by Pioneer, I would highly recommend looking at the Panasonic RP91K, Denon DVM4800, or Kenwood Sovereigns before purchasing the Pioneer Elite DV38A DVD/DVD-A player.
    DB[​IMG]

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Well to give you an idea of what else is out there here is what I would buy with 18000.

-Sanyo PLV-60HT front projector ($4500)

-not sure what screen right now, but you could go well over 120" if you wanted to ($500-$1000)

-HTPC or Panasonic RP91 for DVD player ($700-$1200)

-Outlaw 950 with a 750 or 770 amp (or you could get an Anthem AVM20 and one of Anthem's amps; there are many other amp choices here as well, along with several other pre/pro choices) ($2000-$5000)

-Swans Diva, nOrh (if you like that look), Paradigm, PSB, B&W etc for speakers ($2000-$6000)

-Sub would be SVS dual CS+ or Ultras ($1500 - $2500)

Then add whatever else for DSS, CD changer, universal remote and cabling.

5. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Seeing as I'm mostly an Audio guy and would refer to others on this forum for Video, here is what I would do with $18000.

Stereo Amp - Odyssey Stratos ($1000)

Multichannel Amp for HT, either Anthem MCA5 ($1200) or Parasound 2205 ($1500)

Preamp - Outlaw 950 ($900) or a used B&K Ref 30 ($2000) but that depends on future review's of Outlaw's performance.

Speakers - You can get a package (if you can drive to Canada) of Paradigm Studio Reference 100's for mains, ADP's for Surround, 20's for 7.1 applications and a CC for about $3,000-$3500).

For a source, use the Sony SCD-555ES ($800 Oade Bros.)

For DVD, the Panasonic RP-91 ($450 online)

Cables and interconnects (DH Labs, Bettercables, Audioquest) will run you $700-1000 approximately if you believe in that stuff or as little as $100 if you aren't a big "cable guy".

Where does that leave us? Right at $10,250 if you are using the high estimate for everything.

So, refering to the video "experts" you have $7,750 to play with when it comes to HDTV, DSS, etc.

As far as the Audio section of your system is concerned, you will be very hard pressed to beat those components at those prices. Of course, you may not be able to get some of those things (like the Paradigm speakers) without a little elbow grease, but it's worth it.

6. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

I'd get the Pioneer Elite TV and receiver, probably other speakers (Paradigms, Ariels, many others), and I'd get that kick ass P1000 DVD player (trying to remember brand).

With that receiver you can do a 7.1 setup by the way (and actually 2 subwoofers)!

Your system will RULE!

7. steve paul

steve paul Stunt Coordinator

I just spent $18,000 recently on my gear. here is what I have and it is AWESOME.

Sony VPL 10HT - $3800

Stewart Grayhawk 100" screen $1200

Denon 5800 - $2500

Toshiba 9100 Progressive Scan DVD - $800 (bought 1 1/2 years ago)

Monitor Audio Gold Ref 20's - $2600

Monitor Audio Gold ref 10's (rear) - $1300

Monitor Audio Gold ref Center $800

velodyne HGS-18 Sub - $2300 (had twin SVS, like the HGS better)

Stands for 10's - $200

Monster Power center - $299

Cables, speaker wire, ect - $300

new soft leather couch for theater - $1200

8 Poster Frames - $350

TAX

Ive had about three other higher end systems in th epast 3 years and this one blows away my Paradigm ref setup, My def tech setup and my Polk Audio setup. Every single item I am 100% happy with with no upgrade fever. Its gone!

8. steve paul

PS - id stay away from the pioneer speakers and sub..I saw them once at a local showroom (jerrys inPhx) and I didnot like them at all. SOme people do though. For $18,000 you can get much better gear.

9. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    steve- you said it directly, as i was beating around the bush. i think Tyler can do MUCH better for the $$ than Pioneer Elite (esp in speakers/sub).
    here's what i'd do with $18,000:
    one pair of B&W Signature 800's ($16,000 w/o the gloss finish or $20,000 with it). or you could buy ONE Nautilus speaker! [​IMG]

10. Mike Burke

Mike Burke Stunt Coordinator

Ok since we are playing with someone else's money! I can do that very well!

Pre/Pro: Lexicon DC-2 $2000.00 (used)

Amps: (2)Aragon 8008ST $1K used ea & 8008X3 $1500.00

Speakers: Revel M20's $6K (mains/sides/rears) $2K C30 center

TV: Toshiba 65H80 $3200.00

DVD: Sony 9000ES $1100.00

Total: $18,800 ( alittle over budget)

OR

Denon AVR 5800 for $3700.00 new

Revels $8000.00

Subs: SVS $1000.00 (that was a guess)

Total $17,000.

Good Luck

11. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Ditch the Pioneer speakers. Now.

No I never heard them. I never heard of them either. There are zillions of reputable speaker brands out there. Pioneer is not one of them.

--

Holadem

12. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

For that kind of coin I wouldn't even be looking at putting a receiver into the mix unless it was one badass reciever. The Pioneer is just another very good receiver.

Brent.

13. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

"For that kind of coin I wouldn't even be looking at putting a receiver into the mix unless it was one badass reciever. The Pioneer is just another very good receiver.
    Brent."
    Sounds like H/T Snob Foolery to me... [​IMG]

14. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Tyler: I do not know the model numbers, but I have heard some fantastic Pioneer HT speakers in the past. These were self powered and had Nautilus type pods on top of them for the directional tweeters. The center channel had some of the best bass response I have ever heard from a center channel speaker. If they sounded good to you, then buy those suckers. If they are the same speakers that I heard, they have been discontinued and should be available for about 1/3 of MSRP. If these are the same speakers and if you'd like, I can hook you up with a nice local guy who bought a bunch of these on closeout from Pioneer. He is a Pioneer authorized dealer too. LMK. As for the 49tx receiver, I am inclined to agree with others that the seperates in that price range may be better... still if you like the sound and simplicy of it... get it.

15. Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski Second Unit

Tyler:
    If it is important for all your gear to look uniform, then buying all from one manufacturer will make you happy as far as system appearance.
    As for the 49TX, it's so new that many on the board may not really know about it. It has great features, top of which is probably the auto calibration. The 49 has a 32 bit processor dedicated to performing speaker calibration and EQ on each channel (but not sub). The 49, of course, comes with a microphone to aid in this task. Basically, a poor-man's room acoustics correction device.
    The 49 also is first receiver with new THX Ultra2, and one of very few units that includes a 7 channel playback mode of DPL2 for stereo sources. The 49 has a nifty little video feature: Video upconversion, including the progressive HD outs. Oh yeah, and there's an optional bass mgmt setting (with full speaker settings) on the DVDA/SACD multichannel input, kinda like Lexicon's new MC12. Also, the finish and appearance exudes class and quality. Not only is it the nicest Pioneer Elite piece I've seen, it's one of the nicest receivers I've ever seen. All in all, not a bad receiver. [​IMG] It streets for approx $2600-2800 and would probably make an unbelievable prepro.
    My summary:
    Nice TV (little pricey, but nice), GREAT Receiver, Speakers have been reviewed favorably for their sound, but I have heard not great things about their build quality (from a salesman that I trust), DVD player is overrated in press for its actual performance, Elite CD changer is nice.
    Good Luck.
    Rich B.

16. dougW

dougW Stunt Coordinator

Mike Burke said:
    Ok since we are playing with someone else's money! I can do that very well!
    Pre/Pro: Lexicon DC-2 $2000.00 (used)
    Amps: (2)Aragon 8008ST $1K used ea & 8008X3 $1500.00
    Speakers: Revel M20's $6K (mains/sides/rears) $2K C30 center
    Total: $18,800 ( alittle over budget)
    I really liked this setup. It takes you from almost ordinary, to dang near extroidinary. Now, don't get me wrong, I love Elite video products, and own a 24TX receiver for my bedroom as well as a 5 year old PRO-119 60" RPTV, and a 301 disc DVD player. But this is the main theater and those audio products will make a HUGE difference. Lexicon does home theater right. Aragon, very reputable, and Revel, well, do I have to say anything? [​IMG] Don't count out used Sonus fabers either, excellent speakers. Concertos, Concertino rears, Solo center.
    Lex

17. c aronson

c aronson Auditioning

I love Pioneer products as well and have a Pioneer elite RPTV and an elite receiver as well as the DV 37 DVD player. However after comparing the RP91 DVD player to the DV 37 I am convinced that the picture from the RP91 is much better than the DV 37. The RP91 has a razor sharp picture compared to a smoother but to my eyes a slightly fuzzier picture with the DV37. Also the colors with the RP91 are definitely stronger and more vivid than the elite. Going back and forth between the two I am drawn constantly back to the RP91.Maybe the DV37 has a more film like picture but the Rp91 picture just jumps off the screen at you.

18. Stacy Huff

Stacy Huff Second Unit

Steve Paul,

Where did you get that Sony projector for $3,800? That's the best price I've ever heard for that model. Was it used? Wow!

19. steve paul

Nope, got it brand spankin' new a few months back at B&H Photo online. $3800 delivered and I love it! I think they were on clearance because the 11HT was coming out.

20. Mike Burke

Mike Burke Stunt Coordinator

Lexman,

After reading your compliments I got a little teary eyed! Muchly Appreciated!!!! I wish people would take the Revel Performa Series and Aragon amps alittle more seriously!!!

They are AWESOME performers!!! Hell for $2K the M20's are MUCH better speakers then Paradigm 100's/NHT's that people seem to go nutz over!!!!! (Oh I will be getting some flack for that one!.lol).

Happy Holidays!

Mike