New $1,000 system

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by JeffBauman, Jun 23, 2003.

1. JeffBauman

JeffBauman Auditioning

I’m cross-posting this to the “receivers” forum and the “speakers” forum since it deals with both.

I’m looking to put together my first home theater system for about $1,000.

At Best Buy, I was looking at…

*) Klipsch quintet speakers ($400)
    *) Klipsch KSW-10 subwoofer ($400)
    *) Yamaha HTR-5640 ($283)

…with Best Buy grouping the above for $1,000. This system would satisfy me, but I want the most for my money. Can you recommend alternative setups (new equipment only) that are worth considering?

I need dual component-video in’s on the receiver (which the Yamaha has) to accept a Playstation2 (owned) and a DVD player (future option – we just use the Playstation2 now as our DVD deck.)

I look forward to your reply.

2. BrianMe

BrianMe Stunt Coordinator

Alternative, extend your budget slightly and get an Onkyo 600 package, including extra rear center. You can get it refurb'd with extended 3-year warranty from Onkyo.com for around $600. Then swap out the sub for an SVS of your choosing. Their lower end 25-31 PCi would put you at a total of around $1200. Sell off the Onkyo sub for $100, and you're at $1100.

Just my suggestion.

Brian

3. Peter_A_M

Peter_A_M Stunt Coordinator

-four or five SCH K05B50 speakers, depending on whether you wanted a simulated or a real center channel ($320 or $400)

http://www.speakerpage.com/K05B50.htm

-Adire Rava ($400)

http://www.adireaudio.com/home_audio...eries/rava.htm

-Pioneer VSXD411 reciever ($190)

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.js...rk_8&oid=52446

I've lived with the SCH bookshelves for half a year and am quite satisfied with their level of midrange clarity and pleasant highs, having owned the Axiom M3tis for a year prior.

I've not heard the Rava, but I have built a sealed subwoofer based on Stryke's AV12 driver, and am certain that the Shiva in the Rava cabinet would sound similarly excellent.

I recommend the Pioneer based on your budget and forum recommendations; I wouldn't spend much more than 20% of a $1000 budget on amplification. The people in the Receiver forum may know of a better receiver for $200.

Best Regards,
    Peter

Edit: It looks like the Pioneer receiver I recommended doesn't even have one component video input. The Yamaha receiver should work well, though.

4. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

5. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

Pablo has a good configuration.

You could lower the bottom line a bit by going with a Hsu VTF-2 and probably will not lose any performance and lower the cost by about $100. Hsu has free shipping right now.

6. JeffBauman

JeffBauman Auditioning

Many thanks for all the replies so far; this is exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for and will greatly help me in making my decision; others not yet heard from, please don't hesitate to post your suggestions!

JB

7. Troy R

Troy R Stunt Coordinator

Whatever you decide don't do what I did and get a receiver that doesn't have pre-outs! Spend the extra money if you have to and get a receiver with pre-outs, that way you'll be able to add a seperate power amp in the future.

just my .02

8. Pablo Abularach

9. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

hey you mean CurtisSC!!

10. Pablo Abularach

Yes I meant CuritsSC,

I'm sorry CurtisSC, I will edit my post. By the way what the SC stand for?

11. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

I'd guess So Cal.