What's new

New $1,000 system (1 Viewer)

JeffBauman

Auditioning
I’m cross-posting this to the “receivers” forum and the “speakers” forum since it deals with both.

I’m looking to put together my first home theater system for about $1,000.

At Best Buy, I was looking at…

*) Klipsch quintet speakers ($400)
*) Klipsch KSW-10 subwoofer ($400)
*) Yamaha HTR-5640 ($283)

…with Best Buy grouping the above for $1,000. This system would satisfy me, but I want the most for my money. Can you recommend alternative setups (new equipment only) that are worth considering?

I need dual component-video in’s on the receiver (which the Yamaha has) to accept a Playstation2 (owned) and a DVD player (future option – we just use the Playstation2 now as our DVD deck.)

I look forward to your reply.

MarkMac

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, Jeff-

My first system was made up of Quintets, a KSW-12, and an Onkyo TX-DS595. I've since begun to upgrade, and the only component I still have is the Onkyo (which I'm looking to change this fall.) I can't comment on your choice of receiver, but I'd say the Quintets are a great start. For such little speakers, they pack a big punch from a HT standpoint. I'd caution you with music, however. They are definitely lacking in that regard, but they are great for movie soundtracks.

On the subwoofer side, I would PLEAD with you to avoid the KSW subs. I was very unhappy with the performance of my KSW12. For the money, there are much better subs out there. The sub I picked up for my Dad last year was a JBL PB-12. I got that for

Rajeev_s

Stunt Coordinator
I highly recommend Energy Take 5 for speakers. I love mine. This is how I started my HT. I think they sound better than quintets for similar price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks