New $1,000 system

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by JeffBauman, Jun 23, 2003.

1. JeffBauman

JeffBauman Auditioning

I’m cross-posting this to the “receivers” forum and the “speakers” forum since it deals with both.

I’m looking to put together my first home theater system for about $1,000.

At Best Buy, I was looking at…

*) Klipsch quintet speakers ($400)
    *) Klipsch KSW-10 subwoofer ($400)
    *) Yamaha HTR-5640 ($283)

…with Best Buy grouping the above for $1,000. This system would satisfy me, but I want the most for my money. Can you recommend alternative setups (new equipment only) that are worth considering?

I need dual component-video in’s on the receiver (which the Yamaha has) to accept a Playstation2 (owned) and a DVD player (future option – we just use the Playstation2 now as our DVD deck.)

I look forward to your reply.

2. MarkMac

MarkMac Stunt Coordinator

Hi, Jeff-

My first system was made up of Quintets, a KSW-12, and an Onkyo TX-DS595. I've since begun to upgrade, and the only component I still have is the Onkyo (which I'm looking to change this fall.) I can't comment on your choice of receiver, but I'd say the Quintets are a great start. For such little speakers, they pack a big punch from a HT standpoint. I'd caution you with music, however. They are definitely lacking in that regard, but they are great for movie soundtracks.

On the subwoofer side, I would PLEAD with you to avoid the KSW subs. I was very unhappy with the performance of my KSW12. For the money, there are much better subs out there. The sub I picked up for my Dad last year was a JBL PB-12. I got that for

3. JeffBauman

JeffBauman Auditioning

Thanks! Very useful info; exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for.

JB

4. Rajeev_s

Rajeev_s Stunt Coordinator

I highly recommend Energy Take 5 for speakers. I love mine. This is how I started my HT. I think they sound better than quintets for similar price.