Neverwinter Nights Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Tony Whalen, May 23, 2003.

1. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Hey all!

Okay, I'm taking a break from my beloved (but not be-Live-ed) XBox right now, and I finally made my long-overdue purchase of Neverwinter Nights. Loving it so far.

So, a couple of questions.

First off, can anyone suggest some good downloadable stuff? Modules, hak-packs, and so forth.

Second, anyone around here play this at all? I'd love to get in on some multi-player action, but as with most online games, I don't want to hop in with a bunch of whining twits. I want to role-play and have a good time. [​IMG]

Thanks for any input gang!

2. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

3. Jason Quillen

Jason Quillen Supporting Actor

Don't forget the first expansion comes out on 6/24

[Edit - didn't read post right the first time [​IMG]]
    JQ

4. Ryan FB

Ryan FB Second Unit

I'm only on 56k, but I play the game from time to time and I'd be up for some online play (I've done online play with it once or twice, and the lag didn't seem too bad). I purchased it a while ago when it first came out, played it some, and then just recently started trying to play through it. I'm a little into Chapter 2 right now, I think.

I haven't tried many of the modules yet myself, as I was always looking for them on planetneverwinter, which links to fileplanet, which means an hour wait to dl the mod [​IMG]. I'm looking around on the site Joe linked to right now though....

5. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

Is Neverwinter Nights a sort of "Diablo 2" clone? I've been looking for something similar for a while. I went into EB and eye'd Baulder's Gate and Neverwinter Nights, but didn't know how close they'd be to Diablo 2. I'm definitely ready for some online play again, just want to be sure I find the right game.

Aaron

6. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Thanks Joe! [​IMG]

Ryan, I've tried the "Spires of Ravenloft" module that someone did. It's actually a pretty good conversion of the original PNP module. [​IMG] Pulled down a couple other ones that I haven't tried yet... mostly conversions of older modules I'm familiar with. [​IMG]

Aaron, NWN and BG are nothing like Diablo 2, other than they are medieval with swords and magic. NWN and BG are considerably slower-paced, and somewhat more complex. They're closer to a real pen-and-paper RPG, rather than the click/hack/slash play of D2. (I love D2, but these are very different games.) Don't get me wrong... they are a BLAST to play... but they are not really action-oriented.

7. Scott_W

Scott_W Stunt Coordinator

I think NWN is more akin to Diablo II, then it is to Baulders Gate.

You control one person in NWN, and the combat is very fast paced. Its not quite as quick as Diablo II, but certainly faster then Baulders Gate I/II. Baulders Gate had large parties, bigger fights, and was a lot more strategic. In a lot of ways, Neverwinter Nights is a clickfest. Feats from Neverwinter act similar to the various powers from Diablo II.

If you liked Diablo II, there is definitely a probability you'll like NWN. Its a little slower paced, a little more story/exploring, but a lot of combat. Much quicker then most other 'pure' RPGs like Baulders Gate.

8. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

Scott and all,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm downloading the demo now.

Aaron