NeverEnding Story OAR: 2.35:1, 2.20, or 1.85:1?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AaronMK, Aug 30, 2001.

1. AaronMK

AaronMK Supporting Actor

Aaron Karp
    What is the OAR of this movie. IMDB lists 2.35:1, it has the laserdisc listed as 2.20:1 and the region 2 DVD as 1.85:1. DVDEmpire lists the region 1 as 1.85:1. [​IMG]
    They aren't putting two cropped versions on the disc comming out on Tuesday, are they?
    ------------------
    My DVD's
    If a movie is not available in OAR, than it might as well not be available at all.

2. Antonio_M

Antonio_M Stunt Coordinator

DVDEMPIRE is wrong, I assume. I have emailed last week of another title in the wrong OAR and they fixed it. (It was a concert DVD)
    I believe the DVD is 2.35:1 [​IMG]

3. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

The DVD is 2.35:1...Look at the review I posted at

4. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Yeah, The NeverEnding Story is standard Panavision, with a ratio of:
    2.35:1
    The P&S version is true pan & scan, with about 40% of the image being SLAUGHTERED off!
    One way to tell a P&S movie from an open matte film is the Panavision/CinemaScope (or other anamorphic or wide-film process).
    Open matte films either has NO credit for a process, or there is a credit called "Panavision Cameras and Lenses"
    Widescreen films always have a credit in the opening credits for CinemaScope and a "Filmed in Panavision" credit for latter "end credits" films.
    ------------------
    P.S.: There's no P.S.

5. Skoobooz

Skoobooz Stunt Coordinator

Jay
    But Patrick, that can sometimes be misleading. For example, Titanic actually says at the end of the credits, "Filmed In Panavision" over the Panavision logo, not the usual "Filmed With Panavision Cameras and Lenses." This is what usually indicates that the film was indeed shot in Panavision (at least on 2.35 films). However, as we all know, Titanic was shot in Super 35, which, if in the 2.35 aspect ratio, should just say "Filmed With Panavision Cameras and Lenses."