What's new

Never thought it would happen...Receiver died (1 Viewer)

My Sony STR 825DE died on me tonight. It went into protection mode and I can't get it to come out. I unplugged it and all of the speaker wire but no change. I like to be able to fix it but if not, you know what that means...UPGRADE:D :D :D. So, if I can't get my Sony working again, I'd like to get some suggestions and what you guys think I should replace it with. I've got about $800 to work with.
Thanks for the help.

Bryan Acevedo

Second Unit
Denon 2802 or if you want to purchase online, get the 3802. Let's just say that your Sony and the Denon 3802 (or 2802) don't play in the same league. You would see a huge improvement. Especially with a 3802.

If you want to see a $1K Sony Receiver vs the 2802, pick up this months Sound & Vision. The Denon puts that Sony to shame!

Bryan

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
A momentarily crossed speaker lead can short an output channel as well as using "8 ohm compatible" speakers (actually 6 ohm). Repair would usually run $60 - $100 depending on the servicer. Extended running at high levels with heat buildup can kill driver chips, different parts but about the same cost.Output failure is usually caused by something.Try to find an authorised independent servicer they usually give best value for the money.

David Cohn

Grip
I concur with Bryan. Just ordered a Denon 2802 online over the weekend ... $550 + $20 shipping.

For $800 you should be able to get a better model like the higher powered 3802 (seven channels vs. the 2802's six).

You may want to check out the Onkyo Integras. They are built like tanks.

Either way, I would feel confident saying you'll be very happy with the results.

Nick L

Second Unit
Another excellent option would be the HK AVR220 and 320. They are great recievers, I have one(220) on the way right now. The HK's pull more amps than the denons do, even though they are rated less power. They are both great recievers though.

Nick L

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks