1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We will be interviewing Criterion soon. Click here for details on how you can submit a question for us to ask.
    Dismiss Notice

Never Thought I'd See This On Blu-ray...The Biggest Disc Surprises For Me

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Dick, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    I have to include THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES here, the miniseries from last century. When that was announced on BD I was like, WTF!? Of course, I bought it...

Mrs. Carab and Radioman970 like this.
  2. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
  3. BRAD1963

BRAD1963 Supporting Actor

BRAD
    I remember when Twilight Time released Rapture and The Sound and the Fury and I thought how 'rare' these were to the home video market. Since then Twilight Time came up with more and Kino, Olive, Shout really started to dig deep and come up even more obscure titles.

Robin9 likes this.
  4. Mark Booth

Mark Booth Cinematographer
    Supporter

I never thought WB would release 'The Majestic' on Blu-ray. The film didn't do well in theaters (a lot of people probably still haven't seen it) and I figured WB would feel it had more important films to bring to HD on disc. I am ever so pleased that WB proved me wrong in 2015.

It might have been the dozen or so emails I sent to WB customer service over the years. :)

Mark

5. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    No? I was shocked as hell about that Blu-ray announcement. It's a cult film, but I suspect there is a rather small "cult" behind it. The transfer is wonderful, and the movie is easily repeat-view material, but it certainly would never have come to my mind (at least) as fodder for Blu-ray release. So glad it was!

6. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Producer

Alan
    Well I'm surprised when a classic or seemingly obvious choice is released on Blu-ray. I think we've now got to the point where films we'd thought were obviously going to be released at some point, now maybe won't be. All those films that Warner won't be releasing, all those Paramount films. We have The Sea Hawk now, but it's not a given that Warner will release any more Errol Flynn films.

7. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Second Unit

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    Wow- I didn’t know My Bodyguard is available. Good little film.

AnthonyClarke and Radioman970 like this.
  8. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    It sure is. when it first appeared on cable in the early 80s me and my cousins watched it every single time it was own for a whole week I was visiting that summer. 9 times. such great times!

Matt Dillon was in so many things at that time. I sure wish Little Darlings would get a blu ray. I used to think it was just misunderstood, but I think it's mostly music rights. Germany has a region 2 release. I lost the dvd I made of it. So I ordered it a week or so ago from amazon germany after a failed attempt to get a decent bootleg off ebay. It was about $12 shipped. I'll try to make my own all region from the disc and hopefully it will play on my old Phillips dvd player. All this trouble to see 2 girls try to lose their virginity at summer camp! lol Sounds like I'm a pervert, but the nostalgia for that little film is incredible. Just like My Bodyguard and the rest I listed.

9. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

I'm guessing WB's desire to put out the "Frank Darabont Collection" set helped get that one on BD.

Also, it wasn't an old film, so it probably didn't require a lot of work to be "Blu-ready"! :)

10. Harold Chasen

Steven
    When it comes to Blu Ray releases, there have been lots of "shocks" (in the good sense) for me over the years. Three of the most OMG I Can't Believe THAT'S Being Released moments for me were Los Angeles Plays Itself, Buddies, and Liquid Sky. Of the ones already mentioned, Eating Raoul was definitely on that list as well. For different reasons (elements problems rather than the film itself), so was Seven Brides For Seven Brothers. Becky Sharp actually qualifies in both categories (the film itself and its elements)

Then there's the Eureka region B Cover Girl. Having been very disappointed with the Twilight Time Blu-Ray, I despaired of ever getting a better version. When I went all-region, this was one of my first purchases.

And thanks for letting me know about My Bodyguard. I'm almost afraid to see it now, decades later (I was a teenager when it was released, so it really hit home then).

Radioman970 likes this.
  11. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    you won't be disappointing. one hell of a heartwarming movie, My Bodyguard. Some parts maybe haven't aged as well but it all still FEELS right.

12. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    Ah...I think it's just Paramount, which doesn't necessarily hold video rights in foreign countries, thus ROMEO AND JULIET, RAGTIME, etc.

13. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

I felt that The Gong Show Movie was extremely surprising, in a "totally out of left-field, how in the world did they think of that one" kind of way, especially considering it was a major flop and panned by the critics (which explains why it never made it out on VHS/Beta).

Of course, I bought it.

Like Josh, I, too, was totally (pleasantly) surprised that CBS took the time, effort and expense to do the work on Star Trek: The Next Generation. I think part of the reason we were all surprised is that when everything was owned by Paramount, we were used to them making as little effort as possible when it came to Star Trek. They just kept releasing (and re-releasing) things with minimal effort and work, thinking "the fans will buy anything we put out."

If Next Gen were still controlled by Paramount, we wouldn't have gotten these blu-rays. Sadly, if CBS could have also foretold how poorly they would have sold, they also might not have done all this work, but I'm glad they did.

Doug Wallen and Radioman970 like this.
  14. Richard V

Richard V Cinematographer

Richard
    Never thought I would EVER see The Valachi Papers, or The Big Red One.

15. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    I should've thought of that. There's another German release from a different label that includes it as an extra on The Night The Lights Went out in Georgia, but a German poster put up some images and it looks yellowed and murky.

Oh, I got this email from amazon german "Hello James Perry,
    We thought you might be interested in knowing that customers who bought "Little Thirteen" also bought these items."

again, I just wanna state for records that I AM NOT A PERVERT!! lol they call the movie Little 13. omg

16. dana martin

dana martin Producer

Dana Martin
    Really, everything is in the realm of possibility. It all depends on the distributor and what they're willing to do. LI have many many of the titles that are listed in this thread, but let's be honest everybody's like oh my I never thought this was going to be put out on disc; let me set this up, who on this forum thought that they would ever see a 2K restoration of Manos: the hands of fate, and then iti get a Blu-ray release of it.

17. Tommy R

Tommy R Supporting Actor

Tommy
    For me it’s the 1981 backwoods slasher flick Just Before Dawn. I first owned it on VHS and it looked like absolute garbage. A DVD came out in 2005 that was better, but still not very good. But the blu-ray from code red is BEAUTIFUL. I can’t believe how great it looks. I never expected anyone to care enough about this movie to put in whatever extensive work that must have gone into the release. I still keep the DVD, though, for the special features.

18. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Second Unit

Tom
    I didn’t know The Last Movie was out. Saw it once at AFI late 80s, early 90s. Cool.

Reggie W likes this.
  19. AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke Screenwriter

Anthony
    What a useful little thread. I was totally unaware 'My Bodyguard' was out on Blu .. I'll hunt it down. A very touching little film, always a favourite.
    I was really happy to find 'Tales of Hoffmann' my favourite of the Pressburger and Powell movies. Also the wonderful French Blu ray of Les Demoiselles de Rochefort which I think now has a US release as well. And 'My Father's Glory' .. My Mother's Castle' double, and the UK release of Albert Lamorisse's mini-masterpiece 'White Mane'. coupled with his more famous 'The Red Balloon'.
    We are so fortunate. To have 'Un Chien Andalou' on Blu ray, all the Tati movies, and so much more. Criterion's 'Tampopo' was another wonderful surprise, after there being so many inferior editions. The list goes on.....

20. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Ikarie XB 1 - the Czech SF classic widely thought to be inspiration/influence for Kubrick's 2001: A Space Oddysey and Roddenberry's Star Trek TV series. We need more of these Eastern Bloc Sf films on quality BR releases.

Many of Warner's cult SF outings from the 50s: The Cyclops, Queen of Outer Space, and others. They really shouldn't surprise me as cult SF/Horror seem to sell much better than any other genre.

TV series The Dick Van Dyke Show, The Outer Limits, and Space 1999.

And many of the titles listed by others.