What's new

Never thought I'd be relieved to see a CG Yoda... (1 Viewer)

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
I remember seeing some Sesame Street puppets and props at the Smithsonian when I was little, and being horrified when I read that they could only use them a few times before they wore out and had to be replaced. They had an Oscar the Grouch in absolutely terrible shape...how depressing!
Am I the only one who thinks that the shot of the ESB Yoda on the comparison page looks a whole lot like Sir Alec Guiness? No offense to Alec Guiness.

Andy_S

Second Unit
I just posted some compare pic's of Jabba the Hutt. Man, what was ILM thinking?? They weren't even close! The color is off, the shape of the head is all wrong. The eyes are wrong. Sheesh!
http://www.saputofamily.com/tv/yoda.htm
[Edited last by Andy_S on November 07, 2001 at 05:37 PM]

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
How much aging could possibly go on in those last 40 or so years?
The same amount of aging that took a young Obi that looked like Ewan Macgregor to an Obi that looked like Alec Guinness. Even at Yoda's extreme age, he would still age, add wrinkles, get shorter, etc.
Bruce
------------------
mstprev.gif

Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

Brian Crowe

Stunt Coordinator
Re: The awful Jabba in EP-IV SE, that scene was shot before they decided to make Jabba a big slug. So in order to integrate it back into the script they had to CGI Jabba into the scene on top of the original actor who was human. Considering the difference in the dimensions of a human and a Hutt there's really no way to make it look 'right'. I dunno what made him want to put it back in anyways. I think it really took away some of the "badass-ness" of his character having Han talking BS to him like that, walking on his tail, etc. The Jabba of Jedi would have thrown him to the Rancor for that.
~Crowe~

Greg_C_T

Second Unit
---------------------------
I think it really took away some of the "badass-ness" of his character having Han talking BS to him like that, walking on his tail, etc. The Jabba of Jedi would have thrown him to the Rancor for that.
---------------------------
Well, it *could* have made sense in the original story arc for Ep IV-VI. Jabba was younger and just not as fat in Ep IV. Fast forward 10(?) years to Jedi, and he's come into more power and become fat and lazy.
Throwing Episode I into the mix screwed everything up. You have a Jabba that is respected and running a major event like a pod race--and that's 40-some years before A New Hope when Han treats him like a pansy!
I think they just should have used a different Hutt for Phantom Menace.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
The Expanded Universe SW novels have tried to explain Jabba's size discrepency by stating that Hutts are hermaphrodites(I'm serious), and frequently change their sex. So the Jabba in ANH:SE was in the female stage and acting more friendly and passive torwards Han. In ROTJ and TPM, Jabba was bigger and more agressive, keeping female slaves and such.
Anyone else buy this explanation?
wink.gif

[Edited last by Richard Kim on November 08, 2001 at 09:53 AM]

Shawn C

Screenwriter
quote: Anyone else buy this explanation?[/quote]
NO.
Also, I really don't think I want to see Yoda in a Light Saber dual! I mean, he's a little short guy that walks around with a cane! I thought his fighting days had long since passed.
When I think of him fighting, all I can think about is the Mini-Me/Austin Powers fight. I mean, he's gonna need the force, and alot of it.
[Edited last by Shawn C on November 08, 2001 at 10:11 AM]

Gruson

Second Unit
Yoda looks the most real in TESB. That puppet was amazing. Hard to believe it was made back in 1979!
Then, in Ep. 1 (20 years later), we get a HORRIBLE looking Yoda puppet. It did not even look like Yoda.
I think the CG Yoda in the AOTC teaser looks better than the Yoda in Ep. 1. However, something is not right, he just looks too CG.
Too bad they did not restore the Yoda from the Lucasfilm Archives and use that puppet for Ep. 1 (hell, he looks younger and better in TESB than he did in TPM).

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
You should look again at the shot where we see Mace Windu and Jar Jar. We see Yoda walking and the CG movement looks bad, I mean the cloth animation. I think Lucas made a big mistake to go 100% CG with Yoda. I mean if he had started it with Episode I, it might have been more acceptable but imagine all the episodes that we have seen, he has been a puppet and suddenly only for the last 2 episodes to come, he is going to look completely different. Never judge a still CG shot. It’s always in motion that a CG image reveals its flaws. At least they should have used a puppet for close-ups.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks