Never Ending and Lord of the Rings Anima

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AVspec, Dec 26, 2001.

1. AVspec

AVspec Supporting Actor

Mark
    Who has these two DVD's that can tell me how good the quality is and are there any on-line reviews?

I saw both at C.C. LOTR was on sale for $14.99 and The Never Ending Story was $15.99. Both look to be anamorphic but sound I believe is 2 and 3 channels respectively?

Not concerned about extras, just how they will hold up on my 106" HT system.

Are there plans for S.E. of either of these two in the near future I need to be made aware of?

Thanks,

2. AVspec

AVspec Supporting Actor

Mark
    Now somebody has to have one or both of these disc's??? Or are they that bad?

3. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

The LOTR one is the Ralph Bakshi version from the 70's. The animation is pretty stunning, but if you haven't read the books or at least are familiar with the story, you might be a tad confused, as it plays as more of a "greatest hits" than anything else. It's definitely worth seeing, but don't expect to be blown away by it. If you have $14.95 to spare, then by all means pick it up. Just stay away from the Rankin/Bass RETURN OF THE KING. It's purely for kids.

4. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Mark,

Never Ending Story is shockingly close to film quality. It's one of the DVDs I take with me when I do my "projector" rounds at the local shops (haven't bought a projector yet...saving $$$). What projection system do you have? CRT based? DLP? DILA?

If you're into these sort of fantasy films, another DVD that will make you almost swear you're watching projected film is The Dark Crystal. AMAZING resolution and image smoothness.

Get Never Ending Story and Dark Crystal (and Labyrinth too) if you don't already have them. I don't have the LORT animated so I can't comment, except to confirm that it, like the others I've mentioned, is indeed 16x9 encoded.

-dave

Oh, one DVD that every Tolkien fan should get is the Ralph Bakshi Hobbit. Yes, it's not perfect. And the animation is wanting. But the animation is also very artistically stylized and the soundtrack (mono) is a beautiful work of art. Those of you who had the double LP set and listened to it in the dark know what I'm talking about. This transfer is OAR 4x3, and very good (on a projection system) IMO.

5. AVspec

AVspec Supporting Actor

Mark
    Thanks Dave! I will pick up both I guess since they are so cheap and anamorphic[​IMG]. I have Dark Crystal and it is a very nice disc indeed.

6. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Mark,

cool site and cool HT!!!

Any screen-caps of actual projected images???

Would love to see some!

-dave

7. AVspec

AVspec Supporting Actor

Mark
    I may have some old screen shoots... will see if I can post some newer ones as I have made some improvements with the video using better HTPC software and tweaking. Need to update the site anyway as it has been quite some time!

I did end up picking up both DVD's today at lunch so thanks all for the feedback guys!

8. Bill Buklis

Bill Buklis Supporting Actor

Bill Buklis
    Isn't there a special edition of The Neverending Story coming soon? Or is this it? Or is there not one and I'm just wishfully thinking? Or perhaps I'm on... hey what's that strange aroma?

9. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

I think it's wishful thinking. If there really is an SE on its way and anyone can verify it please let us know!