Networking

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ike, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Lately, I've been meaning to network 2 computers in my house (and maybe my X-Box) so that they can use my cable modem. I'm a complete newbie at this, and was wondering what I'd need to do this? Also, are network kits a good route to go?

Will networking slow the connection down on the computer the modem is hooked up to? Will files be shared in between the computers? Can I play games head to head via the computers?

Thanks.

2. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

You'll just need a cable router with ports for mulitple hookups (or a seperate hub...depending on how many connections you make to it)

Configuring the router can be a bit of a pain depending on what kind you get, but it should be fairly straightforward. You'll just connect your internet connection to the router, then run all of your PC's off of the ethernet connections and configure.

If you can find a kit with the pieces you need, then go for it. You'll need the above hardware and cables long enough to go from PC to PC to XBOX from the router/hub. Networking shouldn't slow the connection down noticably unless you're accessing the internet on both PC's at the same time.

You will be able to share files along with your internet connection, and you'll also be able to play games over your network with the right games. Not all online capable games can be played between two PC's on a network, but many can. You'll have to check the documentation with the game.

3. Brendan B

Brendan B Extra

You'll also need NIC (network interface cards) installed on each computer you intend having on the network.

I recommend getting Linksys NICs and a Linksys router as those have worked painlessly for me.

4. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Sorry to revive this thread, but would this kit work? What would I need to add? Is this a good kit?

5. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

For what it's worth, I've never heard of that company. I really would just stick with known names like Linksys for something like this. I'm not saying that the kit you specified isn't good, but I'm weary of any name that doesn't have a reputation.

Has anyone else heard of Airplus?

6. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Ike,
    You need to decide wether or not you want wireless. From the looks of it you do. I can't blame ya, wireless is great [​IMG] If I were you, I'd connect my two PCs to the network using CAT5 cable, and then use wireless and a wireless bridge for the XBox. I just went through the Linksys website. I'm surprised they don't really have a home starter kit. Anyway, here's what I found for you.
    BEFW11S4 wireless router. Hook your cable modem up to this, and the two PCs connect to it's built in 4 port switch (you'll have two ports free for expansion later).
    WET11. This is wireless bridge. It receives a wireless signal, and then "converts" it to a wired one. Connect it to your XBox with a short run of CAT5. It works, and lots of people in the Video Game Hardware forum use it too, for their XBoxes and PS2s. The XBox has a RJ45 port on it, so you don't need anything else. If you had a PS2, you'd need the PS2 network adapter.
    LNE100TX. You'll need one of these for each PC, unless your PC already has an ethernet port.
    I haven't priced this stuff out, but none of it should be too terribly expensive. It's also pretty easy to setup. I'm betting you could do the whole job in a Saturday afternoon.

7. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

I agree with Don. You should be all set with what he listed.
    I haven't had any problems with computer speed when running a wireless network. You CAN share files between computers, but you have to specify which files/folders you want to share. This is a snap under Win XP, you just right-click the folder you want to share, go under properties -> sharing, and click the checkbox to share the folder. Quite easy and painless. [​IMG]
    You can also play games head to head, as long as you have all the proper CDs and installations on each of the computers.
    Here are some links to Amazon.com if you want to buy (and provide me with a modest referral fee [​IMG])
    Linksys Wireless Router
    WET 11 Wireless Bridge (for XBox/PS2)
    Linksys LNE100TX Ethernet Card

8. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    SMC is another good company for Networking components. I have found that the router control panels from SMC are more intuitive than Linksys.

9. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Okay, excuse the very dumb questions, because I'm a newbie at this.

Let's say I didn't want to connect my X-Box, I just wanted to connect the 2 computers. Would I still need the Wet11? Is the Wet11 only for wireless connections? If it is for wireless connections, how many do I need? 1 for each computer, or 1 between the 2 computers?

10. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

You'd only use the WET11 to wirelessly connect a device that has an ethernet port already, such as the Xbox. If you want to wirelessly connect a PC or notebook, you're better off installing a wireless PCI or PCMCIA card in the machine.

11. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

The WET11 is a wireless brige. It "translates" between a wired and wireless connection. If you're only going to hook up the two PCs, and don't mind running the CAT5 to each, then you dont need the WET11. If you want to use wireless for each of the PCs, then there are better choices. Generally, you'd need one WET11 for each location. If there was more than one device requiring a CAT5 connection in each location, you'd connect the WET11 to a switch, and then the other devices to the switch as well (For example, if you had a XBox and PS2, you'd need one WET11, a switch, and 3 pieces of CAT5 cable).

And there aren't any dumb questions. We all have to learn something for the first time.

12. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

Just say no to wires. [​IMG] That is, unless you have a great need to transfer large files between computers. If you do, you'll want to maximize speed using cabling. (up to gigabit ethernet) Going wireless limits you to 11Mb/s or 54b/s depending on whether you pick 802.11b or 802.11g. (I'd go with g at this point). It also depends on how close these computers are.
    After you decide what you want to do, you simply need a wireless or wired card in each PC and a "base station" to let the two talk. The "Base station" will also serve as a router or gateway to the internet for the two machines.