What's new

Networking WinXP and 98 Dilemma With Zone Alarm (1 Viewer)

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
I am trying to network 2 PC's, one using WinXP and the other with Win 98 Version 4.10.1998. For the record, I also used the file netsetup.exe on the 98 machine, which XP suggests when the 2 operating systems are used in a networking XP platform.

The problem is that ZA, Ver. 3.7.202, blocks each others IP address's EVEN after adding them to ZA's trusted zone on both machines in the IP firewall area.

The IP addresses are 192.xxx.x.100 (XP machine) and 192.xxx.x.101 (98 Machine). The router I am using is the D-Link DI-604 and the NIC cards on both machines are the D-Link DFE-530TX.

When I drop the firewall on both PC's, the network has NO problem sharing and seeing each others drives and printer. When I engage the ZA firewall, even AFTER adding the IP address to the trusted zone on each individual PC, ZA still blocks access. I've gone over the IP numbers numerous times making sure I am correct and everything is in order.

I am rookie with this stuff, but I'm confused as I've done the same thing on my PC at home and after adding IP address's to the trusted zone between 2 XP machines, ZA allowed access.

I'm attempting to do the same thing with my girlfriends computer and ZA will not allow them to talk to one another. What am I missing here? Your help is appreciated as I am at my wits end with this.

Charles

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
I am only posting my answer to this problem as someone else may run into the same situation.

The answer was, I gave up after many hours of trying to troubleshoot this problem. Well, maybe.

On a whim, I removed ZA from both systems, installed Sygate's free firewall and the problem is resolved. It now works like a charm. Go figure. I sure as hell can't.

Cheers,
Charles

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Took the words right out of my mouth. ZA (at least the free version we tried) wouldn't allow any real security levels in a network situation, as far as I could tell (running some 98se and Linux PCs). Lowering the security level allowed it to work but offered little protection. We then switched to the Sygate program (more complicated to set up) which worked fine until we rebuilt our Linux router.
ZoneAlarm is probably fine in a single PC environment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks