1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Networking Windows 98 and 2000. Please Help!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric Gan, Apr 8, 2002.

1. Eric Gan

Eric Gan Agent

Here's the setup...it's a bit strange, but I have reasons to do it.

Windows 98 machine (FAT 32) connected directly to cable modem, with a second NIC running ICS.

Windows 2000 (NTFS) connected to the Win98 machine with a crossover cable.

I have tried the exact same setup with WinXP instead of Win 2000 as the second machine and it works. I can browse files and connect to the net on the second machine. With Windows 2000, I can see the name of my Win98 machine under "Computers Near Me". But when I click on it, it says invalid path or something to that nature. I also have no internet connection.

The Win 2000 machine has actually picked up the correct IP (192.168.0.2), so ICS must be working, no?

Someone please help me. This is my first time running Windows 2000. Is there a setting somewhere that I'm overlooking?

Thanks,

Eric

2. Arthur Legardo

Arthur Legardo Second Unit

The Windows98 machine can't browse the Window2000 machine because you are using NTFS on the Windows2000 computer, it just can't recognize the hard drive.

3. Mike Voigt

Mike Voigt Supporting Actor

Eric, couple of recommendations:

1. use the 2000 machine as your connector. NTFS is more secure than FAT32, so if someone does get through, it is a bit more difficult for them to mess it up w/o also getting in as Admin.

2. To share info, set up a new (logical or actual) hard disk on the 2000 machine, but format it as FAT32 instead of NTFS. That way, you can exchange info. 98 cannot read NTFS, though IIRC XP can.

Good luck!

Mike

4. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

5. Eric Gan

Eric Gan Agent

Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses. After almost 2 days of troubleshooting this problem, I figured it out, and the answer still boggles my mind.

The culprit is ZoneAlarm Pro 3. But get this, the program or any instance of the program is not even running! In my startup folder, there is absolutely nothing. In msconfig startup, there is the ICS manager and system tray. I even have a program called StopIT that shows anything running on your machine, and no sign of ZoneAlarm.

On a whim, I decided to turn ON ZoneAlarm to see what would happen. After that, both computers could see each other and ICS worked perfectly. Things like this will drive a person insane.

So, if you're planning on doing some home networking, be aware of Zone Alarm.

Thanks,

Eric