Networking question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave F, Oct 21, 2002.

1. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

I'm hoping someone may be able to help solve a minor annoyance in my gaming network setup. I have a Netgear RT314 router, which I have one link running off to a Linksys EZXS55W 5 port switch. The switch breaks the connection out to my Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox, and soon the Gamecube.
    Here's the annoyance: everytime a console initiates a connection, it initially fails. It times out after a minute or so. If I try again right afterwards, it connects with no problem. Some co-workers suggested that the delay may be in difficulties in auto-sensing if it is a 10 or 100Mbps connection, and that I should set it to 100. However, I have no idea how to do this.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Dave

2. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

Hmm- sure it's not the router? I've never seen a switch do that - could be bad though. try borrowing one if possible.

3. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

One thing that I would recommend testing is to run a long Cat 5 cable from the consoel to the port that you are linked up to in the router.

If it works ok, then you can pretty much determine that it's the switch.

Our Cisco switch here at work needs to be hard set to 100/Full in order for some of the NIC's to connect to it. It's quirky that way.

I hope this helped.

Glen

4. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Well, I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing. I connected directly from the router to the PS2, and experienced the same issue - timeout, then connection on the second attempt. So at least I know it's not the switch.

Any suggestions from this stage? The router seems to work ok for other things( PC & a wireless access point), but perhaps they have a longer period before they time out?

Thanks,
    Dave

5. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

Well, the next thing I'd take a look at is what version Firmware you're at.

After looking at the Netgear site, I see firmware 3.25 as the most current version.

I couldn't find anything on their site about your specific problem, but perhaps that could be part. I'll let you know if I think of anything else.

Glen