networking question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Weldy, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Matt Weldy

Matt Weldy Second Unit

Here is a bit of a long question.

1. I have two rooms with computers. What I want to do is share an highspeed connection. The problem is that I want it to be expandable in both rooms for more computers without running more than one cable.

2. what I was thinking about doing. Was getting a router in the room my cable modem is in and running one cable to the other room to maybe a switch. That way I can add computers to each room without pulling more cable through the walls.

3. Will the computers that I add to the other room be able to use the internet also.

4. If I am way off please give me a suggestion.

2. Arthur Legardo

Arthur Legardo Second Unit

1. See your suggestion for #2
    2. That will work.
    3. Yes, that's pretty much my setup in my home.
    4. You're right on the ball. Of course, you can also go wireless, but that solution is much more expensive than the hardwired solution.
    [​IMG]

3. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Put a router in the room where the cable modem/DSL modem is. Then connect two cables to the ports on the router--one to the computer in that room, and one to run into the other room. In the room where the router is, just plug the computers into the router. In the other room, get a hub (cheaper than a switch), and plug the computers into the hub. If you have only one computer in that room, you can plug it directly in, you won't need a hub.

Note that to go from the router to a hub, you'll need a crossover cable instead of a normal "straight-through" cable.

With this setup all computers will be able to share the internet connection, and can also share resources amongst themselves, such as a single printer, or file sharing.

KJP

4. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

That'll work...sorta...

In one room with the cable modem put the router (one of those like from linksys that are a dhcp server and firewall). Connect the cable modem to the router, the modem will give the router an IP address. Then connect the computer in that room to the router. The router will assign IPs to all the other computers. Go buy a hub (you don't need another router) and put the hub in the other room and run a cable from the router in room 1 to the uplink of the hub in room 2. In room 2 run all your other computers to the hub and they should get IPs from the router in room 1. You will also be able to use your cable connection at the same time on all the computers.

Another solution that was already said is wireless, but you'll not only have to buy a wireless access point but also wireless pci cards for your desktop machines or wireless pc cards for any laptops you have. The wireless version of the linksys router is also a 4 port switch. I wish I would have bought the wireless one now because I really want to get a wireless card for my laptop but keep my other machines in the room with the router on the wired network.

5. Arthur Legardo

Arthur Legardo Second Unit

6. Jon_R

Jon_R Stunt Coordinator

In case you don't know, a hub does not need a dedicated uplink port. You can connect to any port using a crossover cable. However, those are special cables that aren't the same as regular cat5, obviously. Now, some hubs have little buttons that will change one port from regular to uplink. If you get that then you don't ever need a crossover cable as you can just push that button and make one port an uplink.

7. Westly T

Westly T Second Unit

I went the wired route, but if the wireless solution looks good to you check out costco.com for some good deals. I ran separate cables for each connection, but one wire can easily handle 2 connections, all the wires are not used for standard Ethernet! I work at Hewlett Packard and they have run 2 Ethernet jacks off a single cable in a pinch many times (4 wires per jack).

8. Jeff R.

Jeff R. Stunt Coordinator